Please sign in to post.

Airport Info.

Can i bring a 7 bottles of champagne in my checked baggage with a 700ml one of each in Istanbul airport going home to my country
without any additional charges/or fees... Thanks
This is my first time departure in istanbul airport...

Posted by
23267 posts

The question isn't which country your are departing but where are you arriving? There are no fees to leave.

Posted by
16893 posts

Turkey is not a “dry” country. Are you buying the wine there? I anticipate no problem as long as they are wrapped securely (not to break and leak) and fit within both the size and weight limits that your airline has for checked baggage. Bottles are heavy, so seven may not fit. They cannot go in carry-on luggage nor past security checkpoints.

Posted by
4 posts

Yes, all the bottles are securely fully wrapped with bubble wrap and clear stretchable film for safety and 7 bottles is split in to two luggage.. Thanks for the advice 🙏🙏

Posted by
23267 posts

The question is you should be asking is how much wine can you bring into your country. In the US it is one liter and an $800 cap on total value. Check your local web site.

Posted by
17908 posts

State laws and regulations vary widely from state to state, and may be more restrictive than federal regulations. States often have restrictions on the amount of alcohol that can be brought in that applies only to the residence of that State. Generally, people transiting through a state are not subject to those restrictions, but sometimes regulations change. You can check with the Alcohol Beverage Control Board of that state to find out what their policies are.

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer could require that you comply with the requirements under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (FAA Act), including the requirements to obtain an Importer's Basic Permit and a Certificate of Label Approval (COLA) with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-190?language=en_US#:~:text=Generally%2C%20one%20liter%20of%20alcohol,countries%20are%20entitled%20to%20more.

In Texas for instance:

The maximum quantity of alcoholic beverages you may import into Texas is:

1 gallon of distilled spirits.
3 gallons of wine.
24 12-ounce containers of beer (288 ounces of beer).

https://www.tabc.texas.gov/faqs/personal-importation-ports-of-entry-faqs/

Posted by
2916 posts

For 7 bottles there should be no problem. I've brought as many as 12 bottles in and never had to pay anything. The duty is so low it's not worth the agent's while to do the paperwork to collect a few dollars. One caveat, though. There was an extra 25% tariff on French and Spanish wines that went into effect in late 2019. Sparkling wines were exempt, but there was a partial change in that this week.

Posted by
32745 posts

third answer down, James E and Robert, - man of steel is flying from Istanbul with 7 bottles of champagne to Philippines.

US law / US State law may not apply.