Please sign in to post.

Visit to Verdant Azores! April 2023

I'll apologize in advance for the length!

We flew from Boston to Terceira Island via Sao Miguel. We chose to spend our first four nights on Terceira, and the next six on Sao Miguel, so that there would be no intra-island flight on our travel home day. It was a longer day on the front end, but as it was an overnight flight, we might have had a wait at our hotel in the morning anyway, so it seemed like the right choice. SATA has direct flights from Boston to Sao Miguel, in less than 5 hours on the eastbound flight. After checking into our hotel, My Angra Charming House, we decided to walk around Angra do Heroísmo prior to dinner. A Unesco World Heritage Site, beautifully restored after a 1980 earthquake on the island, Angra is a true gem of a city. With cobblestone streets, beautifully decorated sidewalks, and flowers of all kinds, the city exudes a European charm that can't be denied.

Dinner was at a restaurant called Tasca das Tias, recommended by our host at the hotel. A beautiful meal and a glass of wine for our first evening was just the thing to encourage a good night's sleep.

On day 2, we walked to the nearby Jardim Duque da Terceira botanical garden. A lovely garden in the middle of town, crowned by the Outeiro da Memória monument hill, which provides a spectacular view over the city, the old fort, and out onto the sea. After a quick lunch, it was back to the hotel to change into comfortable clothes for an e-bike ride up Monte Brasil. The ride through the trails on the mountain was made much easier by the electric assist, and well worth the viewpoints from each side of the now dormant Monte Brasil. After our bike ride, we visited a cheese shop called Quejo Vacquina for a drink and a sampling of local cheeses. Dinner this evening was at Beira Mar, a seafood restaurant at the fishing port in nearby Sao Mateus. Of course, I had to try the limpets, or lapas, never having seen them before. They are in an open shell resembling an oyster or clay, but are actually a type of snail. The texture was a little tougher than a clam, and there was too much garlic and butter for the true flavor of the limpet itself to shine through. I followed the limpets with the most delicate grilled calamari I've ever tasted.

Day 3 proved to be a bit rainy and cloudy, so we opted for a drive around the west side of the island. We ran into a mystical forest somewhere around Santa Barbara, and drove up the mountain as far as the narrowing road allowed us to feel safe doing so. We traveled on to Biscoitos, and stopped at the natural rock pools on the coast. Since it was very windy and rainy, the visit wasn't terribly long, but the show that the waves crashing against the shore provided was a spectacular sight! We traveled on to the nearby Museu do Vinho dos Biscoitos. A walk around allowed us to see antique equipment used in the cultivation and harvesting of grapes. We took the recommendation of Luís and had lunch at the nearby O Caneta. Some folks we recognized told us that this restaurant was a beef restaurant, so we ordered the local specialty of Alcatra, slow roasted beef cooked with a spice blend in a clay pot. Resembling the best pot roast you’ve ever eaten, it was deliciously tender!

After a wonderful lunch we traveled on to Algar do Carvão, a volcanic chimney which descends 328 ft below the surface and opens up into a wide cave, with a clear rainwater fed lake at the bottom.

Posted by
268 posts

For day 4, we started out driving around the east side of Terceira. Stopping in the village of Sao Sebastio, we were able to view some 16th century frescos in the Igreja Matriz, the oldest church in the Azores. We drove further along and then up the mountain to Serra do Cume. The viewpoints at the top of the mountain give a view of almost all of the island, beautifully green and sectioned off by lava rock walls. We had lunch at O Pescador, where I feasted on Bachalau Cataplana, a regional cod dish cooked in a covered pan. Wonderfully fresh, with a beautifully seasoned sauce. After lunch, we continued the drive north, and made our way back to Biscoitos to see the pools on a sunny day. What a beautiful location! I will go back one day just to be able to swim there. Further on, we visited Gruta do Natal, a circular lava tube visit included with the ticket we had purchased the previous day at Algar do Carvão. Two very interesting and completely different caves to visit. We had a light dinner at Birou Bar in Angra do Heroísmo, and were delighted to talk and joke with Inez, our wonderful server.

The following morning, we made our way to the airport for a flight to Sao Miguel. Once we landed and checked in to the Azorean Urban Lodge, we walked around Ponta Delgada, the archipelagos largest city. We had lunch at O Tasca, renowned for traditional Azorean food. The food was very good, but not quite up to the hype we had been given. I had a very fresh tuna sandwich, because, in the middle of the Atlantic, I think seafood is always a good choice. My travel companions were less enthused. Later on, I visited the Gin Library at Solar Branco Estates for the most wonderful gin and tonics I'd ever had. I realized I had left my cell in the taxi, which could have been disastrous! But, the Gin Library owner, Ali Bullock, called the Urban Lodge, identified the taxi company, and my phone arrived back at the lodge just after I did! Wonderful people, incredibly kind and always helpful.

On day 6, we drove north to the thermal pools at Caldiera Velha. There are beautiful naturally fed thermal pools in the middle of the forest here. It was an amazing experience, at the same time both relaxing and therapeutic. After our visit, we continued north to Ribiera Grande, and enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Tuka Tula bar on the beach. I had shrimp bao, which was again, deliciously fresh. My travel companions each had a shrimp salad, which they all enjoyed. Heading east and taking in the vistas of the north shore, we stopped in at Che Gorreana tea plantation. The teas were lovely, but the landscape was glorious! Beautiful rows of every shade of green imaginable! We traveled south to Furnas, where after a dinner of cozido (meat and veg stew cooked in the fumeroles of Furnas) at Tony's, we made our way to Poca de Dona Beija, our second visit to thermal pools of the day. In stark contrast to the morning visit, our evening visit was to a beautifully spa-like set of pools, with just the right lighting for an evening visit. Our ride back to Ponta Delgada was a difficult one, at best. We went up over a mountain road covered in fog and full of switchbacks. Since I was driving, I just went as slow as needed and took my time on the unfamiliar road. It really was the equivalent of driving in a white out snowstorm. That drive alone would have me spend at least a night or two in Furnas on my next visit, so as not to have to leave the village in the dark.

The next day, day 7, we were feeling a bit tired, so decided to take in some if the sites in Ponta Delgada. We were checking webcams for Sete Cidades and Lagoa dd Fogo to see if a visit was possible, but all we saw was fog. We visited the Antonio Borges Botanical Garden, and afterwards hopped on the Largata Tourist train, which promised a visit to a pineapple plantation.
Dinner that evening at one of the Portas del Mar restaurants was underwhelming.

Posted by
268 posts

On day 8, I left my companions in the hotel and headed for the pier. I had seen the US Coast Guard Barque Eagle, the fleets only tall ship, harbored at the port. Having lived in Groton, Connecticut, I was keen to have a tour. With a little bit of assistance, I was able to get on board for a personal tour of that spectacular vessel! What a fortunate treat that was! After picking up my travel mates, we did a tour of the local market, with some samplings at the Rei dos Queijos cheese shop. We found our way to Boca de Cena restaurant for an incredible dining experience! The owner, Roberto, is a jack of all trades; maitre de, server, chef and entertainment, he provided us with the most sublime meal! I had crispy octopus, served over a root vegetable puree, and it was even better than anticipated.

The following morning, we had arranged for a Royal Azorean Tea Brunch at Chalet da Tia Merces in Furnas. Paula, the owner, provides exclusive parties (reservations required), catered to your liking. The brunch we chose featured the best products, teas, coffees, cheeses, meats, honeys, eggs, breads and sweets from each of the nine islands of the Azores. Our visit lasted three hours, and we learned so much about teas and waters and even Azorean history! Paula demonstrates the pride that every Azorean we met felt about their homeland. A walk through the Terra Nostra Gardens was the perfect remedy to walk off such a feast! We chose to drive back to Ponta Delgada along the north shore highway, where we were able to stop at several of the miraduoros along the way. The beautiful colors of the land meeting the sea never gets old!

Our last full day of our visit, I had decided to make a hike of Quatro Fabricas da Luz, near Agua d' Alto. The hike takes you from the valley to a mountain top manmade reservoir, passing two abandoned hydroelectric plants on the way. The plants were built in the late 1800s, and provided the first electricity to the islands. The hike was listed as easy on the Azores hiking website, but at nearly 60 years old, I wouldn't have wanted it any more difficult! And, it was good that I started at the bottom; if I had hiked from the top down, I might have considered a taxi ride back to the car! A lovely drive along the south coast near Caloura provided a chance for more lovely ocean views and ice cream!
After showering and a bit of relaxation, we took in a visit to the Whale Watch Bar (rooftop at the Octant Hotel), for drinks and cheese. After wandering around a couple of local shops, we visited Ned Kelly's Irish pub for juicy burgers and cold beer for dinner.

Early the next morning, one friend and i decided to make the drive to Sete Cidades. Couldn’t hurt to at least try to see if possibly the lakes were clear below the webcams. We only got as far as the abandoned Monte Palace hotel, as the road was blocked at that point. The lakes below were covered in a heavy fog, and as it started to rain, my friend did not want to wait around to see if the clouds cleared. Prior to leaving for the airport, we walked around Ponta Delgada, visiting some of the beautiful churches. Down at shore level, it was a beautiful, sunny day, and we were able to take one more relaxing stroll down the streets of Ponta Delgada.

My biggest regret about the trip is that because if the time of year, fog covered some of the high mountain lakes for much of the time. In honesty, this provides an excuse to return, as if one were needed! I can't say enough wonderful things about the Azores; the warm welcoming people, the verdant green landscapes, the wonderful food... it really is a hidden paradise out there in the middle of the Atlantic.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/StHDzWbURunsQ67D8

Posted by
268 posts

Thank you roubrat! I'm afraid the photos don't actually do the in person visuals justice.

Posted by
161 posts

Remote islands with a Portuguese flair had to make for a good trip! A fine report, giving a good overview of an island region that still is not really well known. I would advise anyone who needs a final push to travel there, to look at the fine photos available at the link you provided — if this report, plus the photos, doesn’t do the trick, nothing will. (I winced only once, at your reference to crispy octopus — Monty Python’s “crunchy frog” involuntarily came to mind — but I’m not a “foodie,” and I’m sure those who are will be very interested in this.)

One other thing: it appears you travelled between the two islands you visited by plane. Was it inexpensive and convenient (considering what a hassle air travel usually is!)? Also, was inter-island sea transportation an option — even if not, perhaps, during your foggy days?

Posted by
268 posts

Hello, Faedus, great question! There are intra-island ferry services that run, but none that run between Terceira and Sao Miguel during the month of April. There are different lines, some running between the islands of the western group, the central group or all of the Azores, but many of those are seasonal, so not available other that May or June through September. The website for the ferry line, (atlanticoline.pt) does not currently show service to Sao Miguel or Santa Maria, but azoresgetaways.com has a good description of the summer ferry routes, if you search intra-island ferries. I do believe that flying between island groups is much quicker, and at certain times of year, the only viable option for visitors hoping to see the islands. Ferries are recommended when traveling between islands of the western group (Flores and Corvo) or between islands of the central group (Faial, Pico, Sao Jorge). It's best to check out the ferry schedule well in advance to see what available options exist. I hope this helps!