Please sign in to post.

Venice hotel

We stayed at Pensione Guerrato in Venice for a few days in September. I chose this hotel based on Rick Steves' recommendations and the fact that its booked for his tours. The hotel was in a good location and fairly quiet. We had a top floor room and we were aware that they didn't have an elevator. However, the room only had one window with bars on it. I saw no smoke detector in the room. The rooms lock on the inside with a key. So I worried all night long that there could be a fire and we wouldn't be able to get out. Also, the mattress was very old and leaned on one side. The pillows were flat as pancakes. The rates were very reasonable for Venice, but definitely not worth it for these issues. I'll pay more next time. Rick Steves might want to visit them again and reconsider his review.

Posted by
2455 posts

Important and useful information! If you go to the RS online shop, then to the current Italy guidebook, at the bottom there is a link for feedback, which would be the perfect place fir you to make these comments, and recommend a new evaluation of this hotel. Certainly there the right people would see and notice it. Do you think the rest of the hotel is the same as the room you had? Hard to imagine that RS tours would stay at a hotel with those negatives related to safety and comfort. The hotels I have experienced on RS tours, including in Venice, have ranged from very nice and comfortable up to really superb.

Posted by
16254 posts

If the room locks on the inside with a key, you leave the key in the door (locked) so you can quickly and easily get out if necessary.

Posted by
36 posts

As a counterpoint, my sons and I stayed at Pensione Guerrato in August, and we were quite happy with the experience. I'll admit that I did not pay particular attention to the smoke detector (or lack of), but we found the room to be comfortable, the proprietors friendly, and as you mentioned, the location is terrific. I'd stay there again if I was going back to Venice.