Please sign in to post.

UK currency

I've heard that the UK is printing new currency with King Charles replacing Queen Elizabeth II and the old currency will no longer be accepted. Sounds like a rumor...........

Posted by
273 posts

Do you mean the hundreds I had left from mistakenly taking too much out of the ATM is going to be no good in the future when dude becomes king?

Posted by
6113 posts

Please send me any currency you have with queenie pictured and I will happily spend it!

Or you could keep hold of it and spend it yourself on your next visit, as it will probably still be valid.

Posted by
6325 posts

Bank of England will replace the queen with king Charles, Scottish bank do not have the monarch on the bills. It's not strange, you can find euro coins with former monarchs and they are still valid.

Posted by
2501 posts

Eventually, all coins, notes and stamps will have King Charles. But nothing to worry about now.

Posted by
49 posts

Thanks! I just picked up currency with the Queen. I wonder which currency I will find when I reach Belfast next week.

Posted by
29 posts

Saw a news story today that “Chuck Bucks” won’t be issued until mid 2024, and even then they will be in “co-circulation” with the present currency for quite some time.

Posted by
5326 posts

Only the monarch portraits (main and cameo) and monogram will change on Bank of England notes. They will only be issued when current reserve stocks run out at the Bank which for some denominations will be years as polymer notes last a long time (although not as long as it was thought they would). As they are considered a modification to the existing series there will be no active withdrawal of notes portraying ERII except on a condition basis until the series itself is retired.

Posted by
23237 posts

Marco, I am curious. How long a life are you getting from the polymer pound? We get about 6 years for our paper one dollar bill and about year or so less on our $5 and $10. Personally I think we should drop our paper dollar in favor of a metal coin.

Posted by
32699 posts

I'm not Marco but I will say nearly infinite life. The few I have stay in my wallet unused for years. Have spent less than £20 cash in nearly 3 years.

Posted by
4077 posts

We get about 6 years for our paper one dollar bill and about year or
so less on our $5 and $10. Personally I think we should drop our paper
dollar in favor of a metal coin.

Canadian polymer notes are supposed to last about 18 years. I assume it's the same recipe as other countries are using. I agree with the coins, I find $1 and $2 coins much handier. The best change of all though was when Canada got rid of the penny.

Posted by
23237 posts

Lost the penny. Didn't realize that Canada was that progressive. Removing the penny in the US would be views as the first step in taking our guns away. You know -- that slippery slope of making rational decisions. We don't want to start that nonsense.