Please sign in to post.

Trip Report: Tuscany (5 days) and Rome (2 days) August 2015

I again found great round-trip airfare ($680) from Detroit to Rome, so I invited my mother on another trip to Italy. We flew US Airways from Detroit to Charlotte to Rome Fiumicino airport. When we landed, we used the ticket machine to get train tickets to Orvieto with a connection through Rome Tiburtina train station. (As I discovered last year, debit cards from TCF Bank work in Italian train machines!) Upon arrival in Orvieto, we took the funicular up and caught the minibus to the Duomo. Our hotel was Hotel Duomo, and we liked it a lot. After a siesta at our hotel, we walked around the town and did about 40% of the Anello della Rupe walk at the base of the cliffs–our favorite thing we did in Orvieto. We went down at the elevator and up by the funicular; if I went again, I would do the opposite (and go up via the elevator!).

The next day, we picked up our rental car at the Hertz location by the Orvieto train station and drove the back roads (so many curves!) to Montepulciano and Pienza, ending up in Siena. I took my US TomTom GPS which I bought the Central Europe map for; without the GPS, we would have really struggled to get from place to place, but with the GPS is was pretty straightforward. (There is even a “parking lot” feature!) The big map we bought at a bookstore in Orvieto was pretty useless, as most of the roads were not numbered, and not all towns were on it. I liked Montepulciano–a fun tourist town with lots of views (and uphill walking); it reminded me some of Mont St. Michel. Pienza was less impressive; I nearly wish I had not put it on our itinerary and added some time in Florence. We stretched our visit in Pienza to about 40 minutes. The most stressful driving we did the whole trip was into Siena to park at the Stadio parking lot. It’s a sharp left to enter the lot, and the spots are very close together and very small by US standards. We found a good spot, though. Our hotel in Siena was Albergo Bernini, and we really enjoyed it–basic ensuite room with good A/C and a ceiling fan. I took the Rick Steves Italy 2015 at its word when it said there were not grocery stores in tourist Siena, but we found two while out walking (one across from the post office, one on Il Campo!). Still, we bought the 5 euro breakfast from the hotel and enjoyed it on their beautiful, scenic terrace.

I scheduled two nights and a full day in Siena, and it was too much time for us. Il Campo is nice, and we enjoyed walking around the Fortress (a free city park), but Siena didn’t have the ambience or sights for me. (I much preferred Lucca, Volterra, and Orvieto.)

From Siena, we drove to San Gimignano and enjoyed following Rick’s self-guided walk. Loved the views from San Gimignano! From there, we drove the super-curvy road to Volterra. Parking structure P1 (the underground lot) is, in my opinion, not signed very well, so it took us several attempts to turn at the right place. When we arrived, most spaces were full, and it was equally hard to park here as it was in Siena. We then walked to our hotel, Hotel La Locanda. Again, after an air-conditioned siesta there, we went out walking. Volterra has so many sights to see! We loved the Etruscan arch and the Roman theater, and we had good hand-made pasta for dinner. (Continued below.)

Posted by
233 posts

(Continued from above) The next morning, we returned our rental car at the Pisa airport (pretty straightforward–turn into P4 and follow the signs). We were so glad we had gotten international driving permits, though, since we got stopped by the police in a random stop (they were just pulling every so many cars over) on the roads north of Volterra–the policeman really scrutinized the IDP, said everything was perfect, and let us go. We also re-fueled our car at the service area within 10 km of the airport on the Fi-Pi-Li highway. I put my debit card into the machine, then I was able to pump the diesel, and then it spit out the receipt when I was done. It was all self-serve and confusing, but there was another English-speaking couple having our same struggle at the same time, and we all made it through :)

We took the bus from the airport to the Pisa train station, stored our bags at the train station, and walked to the Leaning Tower. It was the hottest day of our trip (one pharmacy sign claimed it was 42 C!), and we may have overdone it. After seeing the Tower, we walked back, got our bags, and took the train to Lucca. Our hotel in Lucca was Hotel Rex, which has a great location (right next to the train station and the city walls), but our room did not have strong-enough A/C to compete with the super-hot day, so we were pretty miserable. We borrowed the hotel’s bikes and did a circle around the walls (fun!), but it was so hot, we returned after one round. That night, we had a good dinner at the trattoria La Tana dell'Orco near the hotel, where I had tortelli lucchesi (yummy meat-filled ravioli in meat sauce).

The next morning, we took the regional train to Florence and then caught the fast train to Roma Termini. We got the 48-hour transit pass in Rome for 12.50 euros each, even though it cost more than individual tickets, so we could hop on public transportation whenever we wanted (since it was so hot). We then took the subway to our hotel, Hotel Modigliani, enjoyed another air-conditioned siesta, ate lunch at the McDonald’s near the Spanish Steps (1 euro McDonald’s milkshakes are the best!), and took the subway + train out to Ostia Antica. (Tickets to Ostia were much higher than listed on their website–10 euros each!) We really liked Ostia Antica, but I unfortunately did not download the Rick Steves audioguide, so we mostly wandered around for 2.5 hours, enjoying stumbling onto neat places. (Wish I had prepared better.) We had to go to Ostia in the late afternoon (4-7 pm) because it is closed on Mondays, and we were only in Rome on Sunday and Monday. We got caught going back to Rome in the return-from-a-Sunday-at-the-beach crowd, so we stood packed like sardines on the Roma-Lido train (even in different cars!) all the way back to Piramide. That night, we went out walking, which we really enjoy in Rome.

Our final day, it thunderstormed for much of the day. We started with the Baths of Caracalla (nice mosaic floors, but not many places to hide during rain and lightning), then walked in the rain to the Jewish Ghetto, Largo Argentina, and the Pantheon (where the rain falls through the roof!). After a late lunch, we also visited Santa Maria Maggiore and Santa Prassede churches to see the mosaics–WOW! (As Ostia Antica is an easy-to-get-to Pompeii, these two churches are an easy-to-get-to Ravenna.) We then took the subway up to Piazza del Popolo and walked down to the Piazza Navona area, ate dinner, and headed back to the hotel.

The most surprising part of our trip was that we got upgraded to business class because our flight was over sold! It was a special way to end a great trip.

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks for your trip report! I'm heading back to Italy in a couple weeks and reports like these get me even more excited than I already am! I stayed at the Albergo Bernini last year and absolutely loved the view! It doesn't get much better than that :) based on your report, we'll try to see the two churches you mentioned in Rome. Thanks for the tip!

Posted by
233 posts

Shauna, I hope you have a great trip! The churches are beautiful--plan to spend two euros to light up the two mosaic parts of Santa Prassede :)

Posted by
11613 posts

The churches are very close to each other.

Posted by
2252 posts

Kyla, what a fun and very special trip for you and your Mom. I know you both have wonderful memories of your time together in Italy. I enjoyed reading your trip report. Thank you for posting.