Please sign in to post.

Trip report to Paris Oct 30-Nov 6, 2019 (Tips)

I wanted to do a little summary of our recent trip to Paris this last week. We have been watching Rick's tv shows and using his web site for information for years. This time I wanted to post some tips that we found that can help folks visiting Paris.

We used Airbnb for our stay because we stayed a full 7 days and wanted space, privacy and "home" conveniences, like laundry. We prefer non-tourist areas and are willing to walk to get where we want. That said we were very conveniently located just out the Marais district, near Rue Montorgueil, a hip/trendy area with a few sex clubs. Our host said this bit is a bit shocking to some! You do have some outside noise if you open windows and no air conditioning so keep that in mind if you travel in summer. Not a problem for us since the weather was cool and rainy. Many metro stations located within 5-15 minutes walking, depending upon which line you want.

We flew out of CDG and used the metro extensively. I suggest anyone staying longer than a few day just pay the 23euros for the Navigo pass (good M-Sun 23euro/week). We picked them up right by the RER station. With various station maintenance going on, train closures, our confusion, it was well worth the convince to just scan the pass going in/out and not have to buy tickets each time. We did follow suggestions to print out little pics of ourselves (3cmx2.5cm/1x1.25") prior to leaving and they slid into the plastic pass holders just fine. We did run into one ticket check where station personnel checked everybody's tickets. Another thing of note, go thru the turnstiles as soon as you see the little green arrow saying your pass/ticket is scanned. If you wait, and try the pass again, it will not work. As we spoke to the attendant, you have to wait 8 minutes before you can use the pass again. I can see why (to prevent multiple people using one pass), so move thru quickly.

We also waited until we got to CDG to buy the museum pass, just went to info desk and purchased. I did 6 days since we were in Paris for a week, did not plan our trip down to minute details and wanted flexibility. That said I do recommend reservations for the following and based on crowds, even if this off season. Prior to the trip, I booked online Eiffel Tower
for sunset (nice watching sun set, lights come on then become full dark), the Louve, and Versaille. For Versaille, I booked the Private side tour 10euro/each. Well, worth the cost as you do not wait in line, get a nice tour and then access to the Chateau. Look carefully at the ticket, it has a picture where you go and wait for the tour, very convenient.

We did not have any issues with long lines to see any of these sites -Saint Chappel, Arc, Orangerie, boat tour, Sacre-Couer, Pere Lachaise Cemetery, Orsay, Amy Museum/tomb, Rodin. We used Rick's suggestions on visiting neighborhoods like latin quarter, Montmartre and Marias.

As for eating, we tended to go to a cafe for coffee and croissants/pastry for late breakfast, eat a large lunch around 2pm, a snack around 4-5pm and a light dinner (great sandwiches at brasseries.) We also did not go crazy trying to find "the best" according to yelp. We wandered, looked at menus/prices and just picked a place. We had many fine meals. For those counting euros, I'd say breakfast was around 5-10euros, lunch 20-25euros/each, snacks 10-20euros.

That's all I can think of right now. If more tips come to mind, I'll post again.

Posted by
13892 posts

Thanks for posting about your experiences! It sounds like you packed a lot in during your week there!

I got checked a couple of times on the Metro this last trip as well. Once I showed my Navigo pass and she waved me thru, the next time he actually scanned my pass to see if it was valid. Lots of people sitting on stairs nearby getting tickets written and no they were not listening to any tourists' excuses. And yes, agree with your tip to go on thru the turnstile when you get the beep and the green arrow. Don't turn around to speak with the person behind you, lol!

Are you planning your return trip, lol?

Posted by
2 posts

One more thing to add. We used https://greeters.paris/en/ to learn more about the architecture in Paris. Check out the website for more info. Walks are tailored to what you are looking for. We had a walk around the 16th area which we probably never would have gone to without using the greeters. Some day we will get back to Paris but not currently on the books yet!