Please sign in to post.

Trip Report: Seven days in Berlin - Jul/Aug 2024

Berlin has A LOT of construction going on all over the city right now. For example, Gendarmenmarkt square is completely torn up and inaccessible, as is the Platz der Republik in front of the Reichstag.

If you don't already know, the Pergamon and German History Museum (main collection) are closed for renovation. That said, the Pergamon Panorama is a really interesting experience and worth a visit. Gemaldegalerie is fully open, however, and currently featuring a great Franz Hals special exhibition.

S-Bahn rail line out to City West sights is currently closed for repairs (signage for alternative ways to get to the Zoo, for example, are difficult to interpret unless you are pretty fluent in German). Take U-bahn or bus to City West instead.

Getting around: Using the BVG mobile app on my phone was a piece of cake and made it very easy to purchase transit tickets (we used the 24-hour small group pass almost daily). Highly recommended. We also used Uber a handful of times when the heat and humidity made the U and S bahn trains too much to bear.

Lodging: Our family of 5 stayed in a three-bedroom apartment at The Circus Apartments near Rosenthaler Platz (U-Bahn and tram hub) and it was ideal lodging with a great cafe attached for breakfast. The apartments are managed so all the amenities of a hotel including concierge and cleaning services are included. They even offer free guided tours (we signed up for the Topography of Terror visit and it was really well done).

Food tip: Had not been to Prater beer garden in Prenzlauer Berg on previous trips and was kicking myself - so fun and convivial, easy and efficient with great beer and grub for an absolute bargain.

Lastly, the new Berlin airport is an absolute dream compared to old and dreary Tegel. Clean, efficient, tons of food and shopping options, and did not feel crowded at all upon our arrival or departure.

Posted by
8297 posts

We were in Berlin a couple of years ago. We found the museums (on the island) to be somewhat disappointing especially when we're used to visiting museums in Munich, Amsterdam, Paris and Italy. We also found the food scene lacking with many deli's and Vietnamese restaurants everywhere. We stayed in the Ibis across the street from the main train station--very good access to all forms of travel.

We did take the two hour train ride down to Dresden, and that's the real Germany. We absolutely loved the place. The museums there are absolutely top notch. And all the famous German breweries have restaurants on the big plaza. The town is very walkable, and really fine hotels were budget priced.

Posted by
783 posts

Thanks so much for the recommendation of The Circus Apartments and the Prater beer garden! They both look great. Also, good to know about the ongoing construction. Sounds like you had a great trip - yay!!

Posted by
145 posts

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences, it's so very helpful as I am planning my upcoming trip. Glad you had a fun family trip together!

Posted by
11485 posts

A German friend took us on a day trip from Berlin to Potsdam, very worthwhile.

Posted by
930 posts

To add to the OP's discussion, we found three museums/tours to be, somewhat surprisingly, absolutely first-rate: the DDR Museum, Spionage (Spy) Museum and Berlin Unterwelten (Underground) Tour M. The latter two of these are especially good. The Spionage looks very commercial and slick but actually contains an immense amount of information regarding espionage through the ages. Both entertaining and informative.

The biggest problem with the DDR Museum is how crowded it is, even on weekdays. There are many interactive displays, making it especially good for the kiddos. But patience is required.

I had excellent schnitzel at the Einstein located on Unter den Linden. Surprising, since reviews weren't particularly strong. Don't miss touring the public areas of the Hotel Adlon, now a Kempinsky hotel. It's a reconstruction, but nonetheless impressive.

Posted by
3956 posts

With this spring's visit, I'm up to 58 nights spent in Berlin since 2016. I love the city. It is a wonderfully German take on the concept of multicultural city. Anyone looking for a preconceived-notion of "the real Germany" in Berlin -- especially if they stay in the city center -- is going to be sorely disappointed.

We also found the food scene lacking with many deli's and Vietnamese
restaurants everywhere.

Why so many Vietnamese places? (1) Vietnamese is a very popular food right now. (2) The DDR (East Germany) had a guest worker program for the Vietnamese, and many of those guest workers stayed... so... it's part of the history of the city! Over 1 percent of the city's population is Vietnamese; in some areas, that percentage shoots above 10 percent.

Food? My last visit... I had spectacular hot and cold mezze at a Greek restaurant in Charlottenburg. I had wonderful traditional German Bullete and an Apfelschorle at a traditional butcher shop in Alt-Marzahn (Old Marzahn village that dates back to the Middle Ages). I ate DDR favorites including a Kalt Hund ("cold dog" dessert) at Volkskammer. I had one of the best meals of my life a few years ago at a Sardinian restaurant found on Trip Advisor. I also found a great Lebanese place with two locations on TA. Then there is Momo's, the organic veggie dumpling place, also found on TA. There are Turkish bakeries. Then there are Döner stands... yum... so good.

Posted by
105 posts

I agree with Dave. In Berlin, some of the best food and experiences I've had since first visiting in 2002 have been outside of the city centre, from Grünau to Grunewald, from Wannsee to Wittenau.

Posted by
14758 posts

If you want to find more Vietnamese restaurants in Berlin, along with other ethnic cuisines, Chinese, Turkish, Persian, etc go to Berlin-Wilmersdorf.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you so much, OP Matt. I'm off to Berlin for 7 days starting this Friday so your post was really helpful. It's great to have an idea of where the pockets of construction/disruption are. I know Berlin is always changing, so my goal is to stay flexible and not stress too much.

I was scared away by the Circus properties not having AC so I chose to stay in Prenzlauer Berg at Myer's Hotel. I've heard lots of great things about them though, so maybe next time I'm in Berlin.

Posted by
61 posts

Smart to choose a place with A/C as it was VERY humid during our stay. Thankfully The Circus provided fans for all the bedrooms so that helped. Enjoy your stay in Berlin!

Posted by
61 posts

My pleasure! Have a great time in Berlin!

Posted by
3388 posts

Thanks for posting Matt. It looks like we will be traveling to Germany in 2025 to visit relatives. I would very much like to spend a few days in Berlin. Hopefully, you will be responding to my future posts with questions about Berlin.

Posted by
7535 posts

Matt, very nice trip report of a wonderful city! Thanks! I really loved Berlin and loved the food there! I had some great Vietnamese meals, Italian, German and one Turkish restaurant that was wonderful. I will have to check out the Praeter beer garden next time I'm there.