Please sign in to post.

Traveling with kids

There should be a traveling with kids section on this forum. My wife and I did a 23 day trip with our 11 and 9 year olds. It was such an enriching adventure for them. I think anything this travel community can do to encourage parents to travel with their children and expand their little minds would be greatly beneficial.

Posted by
5581 posts

I have four grown children. We've traveled quite a bit with them from infancy. There are typically quite a few posts about traveling with children. Consider doing a trip report. They are very helpful to people planning a trip

Posted by
5262 posts

Our kids have always travelled with us, I don't understand the mindset that they shouldn't. It would never have entered my mind to leave my kids with someone else whilst my wife and I went on holiday, I only realised people did so when I started reading this forum.

Posted by
5581 posts

While I strongly advocate travel with children, I don't feel like there needs or should be a separate section. General tips on how to manage with kids can go in General Europe. Country specific tips about travel with children can go in each country's forum. I think there are often tips for travel with children that can benefit any type of traveler.

I do think that families and those that might travel with a person with disabilities would benefit by greater understanding. Parents can plan and plan and still things can go wrong. Kids vomit, babies can be fussy, etc. Most often, people have been so kind. However, there was one flight, and it was a short one, Minneapolis to Denver, and a woman was immediately crabby when our family of six boarded and were seated around her. She was upset to move from her aisle seat so we could get by and sit down. She called over the flight attendant and said she'd like a quiet flight. We were astounded and embarrassed, the flight hadn't even started and all four kids were reading books! When the flight attendant returned, she ushered all six of us to 1st class! Fifteen years later and the kids still wistfully recall how amazing 1st class is!

Posted by
3227 posts

We have two kids at home and I agree I don’t think we need a separate section for traveling with kids.
We took ours on a month long trip to Europe last summer and we all had a great time. However, having done trips with just my husband and I, and with kids, they are two different kinds of trips.

We go to Greece in 38 days on a RS tour and we are not taking our kids. We want to travel in less busy times and not always have to travel when kids are out of school. Also, money wise it is certainly less expensive to leave the kids at home.