Please sign in to post.

Traveling to Rome, Florence and Venice in the Winter

We just got back from a 10 day trip to Rome, Florence and venice. We used Rick's guidebooks and his pointers and books are absolutely amazing. Rick however does not mention that in January you have no crowds, no lines and no heat to deal with. It was 50 to 60 degrees most days and with a good jacket there was no problem. I don't know why he doesn't recommend to travel in the winter. I would have hated the summer with the heat and the long lines go to everything and the crowds. We had none of that. The cafes and restaurants still set up shop outside with heaters so there is really no problem traveling in the winter. Yes it gets dark earlier and it rained a little here and there but it was no issue. We went to Paris in the summer and it poured all 4 days we were there! We were freezing cold.
I wanted to post this because I could not find anything about travelling I the winter.
Go ahead and do it, we had a fantastic time!

One more thing. 'The Raffello' hotel in Rome was fantastic ! Great central location and fantastic small cozy hotel. The hotel 'Residencia del Proconsole' in Florence however was not so good. The bed frame was loose so every movement was heard. We asked the guy to fix it. It really needed only a screwdriver, he didn't bother. There is noise all night from within the hotel as well. Mariano's answer to everything was, this is how it is. The Hotel in Venice 'Locanda al Leon' was centrally located but we were on the 3rd floor with no elevator. No problem for us but I just wanted to mention it. This hotel was like an apartment with kitchen and living room and 2 terraces. If you ask me, I don't need any of that. We just go to the room to d sleep!

So in conclusion, go to Italy in the winter! Hotels are cheaper, airline is cheaper, no crowds, no lines, no heat and you will have a fantastic time!

Oh yes, and we saw the Pope in a church right next to our hotel. We were there by accident. It was a surprise visit from the Pope and for us :)

Happy travels!

Posted by
1944 posts

Amen to that! We will be in Paris, Lucerne, Florence, Salerno starting in a month. I only have a trip five years ago in October to compare it to, but even then, in Florence & Rome the crowds were pretty bad. The Ponte Vecchio was wall to wall, and the Vatican was very crowded as well. For this upcoming trip, other than our air, hotel/apartment/B&B reservations & train tickets, nothing else has been reserved, other than maybe one restaurant in Paris. When you have the run of the place, spontaneity works!

I don't like heat either, but it's been challenging to make sure I have the right clothes to stay warm in these climes while still following the RS credo of 'packing light, packing right' in one carry-on each for myself & my wife. I did pick up a Marmot ultralight down jacket on clearance for $99 that folds up to the size of a softball in its own pocket, and I figure that, a light zippered fleece jacket & some type of highly-compressible rain poncho should do it. One pair of good walking shoes that I will buy (Rockport's maybe?), and I am buying the RS toiletries kit, laundry line and some packing cubes.

Posted by
11613 posts

Thanks for the great post. I traveled in winter last year to Belgium, Switzerland and Austria and it was great, only rained a little in Belgium, sunshine everywhere else.

Posted by
3696 posts

I have traveled a number of times in the winter and for all the reasons you have said I usually prefer it. You get to see the cities and towns more like the locals do. I have been to Rome in Feb. and in July... cool, windy, rainy in Feb.... sweltering, crowded and almost unbearable in July and lines for everything. In Feb. we could see everything we wanted almost immediately... and things were definitely cheaper. I feel like I get to 'know' a location so much more when I am free to wander about and take photos (I am a photographer) rather than fight the crowds. I always dress in layers and find winter travel easier to pack for. Christmas Markets are really fun, and while they might be crowded, it is nothing like the summer.

Posted by
796 posts

Thanks for the great post. I was in Paris for 3 weeks in November and loved it. I even caught a Christmas market. I also recommend late fall & winter travel.

Ditto! I traveled 11 days in Ireland in November 2013...and it couldn't have been better. No traffic, no lines, no people. We were able to photograph all of the sights that we wanted without having to photoshop people out. We had a great time- we just had to dress more warmly. Did make packing light more difficult, but we had a GREAT time!!

Posted by
53 posts

Ditto here too. Paris in November 2011, 2 weeks in Spain right after Christmas last year, and Rome in November this year. Short lines and pretty decent (cool) weather for the most part. Museums are great when it's raining anyway.