Please sign in to post.

Tour of Italy October 2022

I love this forum and how helpful other travelers are when planning trips. We did a 12 day tour of Italy during the first two weeks of October 2022. Flying into Venice (3 days), onto Florence (3 days) with a day trip to Pisa and Cinque Terre (took the express train to all 5 villages with no daylight to spare), then to Amalfi for 2 very warm days on the coast, finally we hit Pompeii before our last 3 days in Rome. The trains give excellent mobility throughout this beautiful country and this was my first trip to Italy where I booked every single thing before we left the US. The weather was perfect, and every step of the journey worked out perfectly. We saw all the tourist spots in each city along with extras along the way. The only time we saw rain was during our 3 hour train ride from Florence to Naples/Amalfi. The only question I have now is, where do we go for October 2023? :)

Michele

Posted by
3831 posts

Spain. You can prebook all your trains or buses and there are so many wonderful cities to choose from. We had a great time both planning and taking our trip. We were just there last October and the weather was nice, cool not too hot, except for Barcelona which was hot. We only had rain one morning in Madrid for about 10 minutes and Toledo one evening for about half hour. Not a hard rain.

Posted by
4341 posts

Put me anywhere in the Mediterranean and I'm good. Once I got to Italy, I just kept going back, but you might also love Croatia, Greece, Spain.
Do you want to try driving on your next trip, or are you looking to stick to train? The mainland of Greece is packed with blockbuster sights, but it's vastly easier with a car. Parts of Spain are perfect with train/bus, especially Andalucia. Croatia is a hybrid, the coast is easy with bus and ferry, but October would be perfect for inland Istria, where you would need to drive. It's easy rural driving.
October is the waning end of the season for the Swiss alps, but I had a perfect experience there last October. It is one of the places where you get the most out of public transportation.