Please sign in to post.

The craic on traveling to Ireland. with Aer Lingus: Traveled Feb 27 - March 5, 2022

Two weeks ago I was preparing for my trip to Ireland. I was very anxious about the Covid requirments for traveling. I'd like to put everyone at ease with some information from my experience.

Aer Lingus has a great app called Verifly. You will create an account and upload all the required information. This makes traveling so much easier. There is a dedicated Verifly line at Logan Airport in Boston and also at Dublin Airport. You want to be in the Verifly line!
As a pre-planner I will admit it was a bit frustrating because you have to wait until 72 hours before your trip to get the Travel Pass completed. This is because of the required Passenger Locator Form. Once within that 72 Hour window you can take a selfie for the pass and upload an image of your Vaccination Card and Passenger Locator Form. One tip, begin creating the Travel Pass (Confident Traveler to Ireland) on your phone but have your computer handy. At one point in the process you must scan a QR code that is sent in an email. It seems to be impossible to do all this without two devices.

At the bag check-in in counter in Boston the attendant was thrilled to see the Verifly pass on my phone. I think I was granted a few favors (seat upgrade) for my efforts. Other travelers in my group did not complete Verifly and left the US without a problem but had to wait in a very long line in Dublin because they did not have this verification. Hopefully we will not have to do this much longer but when steps like this are in place with the airline you are flying, it is important to pay attention and follow their reccomendations.

Coming home from Dublin we had to open up the app and created another Travel Pass (Confident Traveler to US) This time we had to upload the negative covid test from the health clinic we used in Dublin. We stayed at a Rick rrecommended hotel, Buswells. This was and excellent location for the dreaded test. The clinic was a 3 min. walk from Buswells. After a payment of $49 and a quick swab we had an email in our inbox with our results. All negative thankfully. We uploaded this pdf to Verifly and were ready to fly home.

***The Travel Health Clinic is at 7 Dawson Street, Dublin. phone 01 633 4977.* It is a bit hard to locate but if you can find the Hodges and Figgis Bookstore, the clinic is directly across the street. (the street number for the clinic is confusing)

Hopefully we will not have to do this much longer. I encourage everyone to begin traveling back to Ireland. The fares are so low right now. We were warmly greeted all through Dublin and Cork County. Many folks told us how nice it was to hear an American accent again. If not for the shadow of the covid test before traveling home, my week in Ireland would have been perfect. Looking forward to returning soon.

I hope this is helpful to someone. I have always found great advice and information on this site.

Happy Travels
Mary

Posted by
2816 posts

Excellent report Mary - one of the best I've seen.

Posted by
2427 posts

This is very helpful advice. I have bookmarked it. We are not traveling to Dublin until late August and as you say we can hope that things have changed by then.

Posted by
6489 posts

Thanks for this, Mary. Do you think there's any way to do all this on paper for those of us who haven't figured out much about transferring info on smartphones? Or were those the people in the very long lines you saw?

Posted by
8649 posts

Thank you Mary.

How was the rest of your trip? Love Ireland. Would enjoying hearing about your visit.

Posted by
48 posts

Glad this was helpful. To clarify, Ireland has lifted most requirements but the Verifly App just expeditied our travels through the airport. Thank you David, great to hear the Travel Locator Form is no longer necessary!! The USA has NOT lifted the required Covid testing for re-entry into our country. This causes US citizens such stress at the end of a trip. Thankfully we had a wonderful local guide who promised to help us with a place to stay should we have tested positive. (Shoutout to Deirdre Harman at Tours by Locals ) Finally, There really does not seem to be a way to do this without smartphones and computers. I rented a portable wifi from a company called Wifi Candy. This was an incredible help during our trip. We were able to use it for navigation, check emails, and to stay in communication with our familes back home. I was on Grafton Street when the email came in letting me know my Covid Test was negative and I could return home.

I got the feeling the travel restrictions and hoops we had to jump through to get to Europe were simply a formality. No one in Ireland asked to see my vaccination card or any other documentation. In many places we were kindly told we did not have to wear masks. I then had to explain the need for extreme caution because of the upcoming test. Hotels, restaurants and tours were just happy to see travelers again. But as long as these restrictions are in place I feel like we have to do them.