Please sign in to post.

Terezin tour

I was in Prague to visit my son who is studying there, and we were fortunate to be able to have Pavel Batel be our guide for a private day trip to Terezin. First impressions: Pavel is courteous and energetic. Pavel picked us up at my hotel and he began sharing information and stories immediately and throughout the ride to Terezin to prepare us for the day. Pavel’s knowledge, energy, passion made our tour the best we have ever encountered. The Terezin “Czech” history regarding Terezin is complicated to say the least as it is not simply the work camp and propaganda location as depicted by the Nazis. Pavel guides you through Terezin in a concise, informative, honest and respectful manner. If you want a vanilla tour, this is not for you. Pavel has spent many years interviewing survivors and researching Terezin beneath the surface. The way he conveys the suffering of the people sent to Terezin, the slave labor and starvation, the atrocities inflicted by the Nazis on anyone who was at Terezin (Jewish people and non-Jewish people), it affects you emotionally. When he tells you a story that happened on the very spot on which you are standing, you are transported back in time. The stories and information he has discovered over the his years of research is a gift we were fortunate to be able to share. It’s an emotional experience for sure, but we are grateful that we had Pavel to educate us.

Posted by
3961 posts

Stefan, Thank you for sharing your experience with Pavel Batel. Your description was exactly what we experienced. He truly has a gift and we too felt that his passion & knowledge were extraordinary. We have hired many guides in our travels and Pavel is at the top of our list. He was recommended by my cousins who also took a private tour. When I made our reservations in 2019, I specifically requested Pavel & did not want another guide. We felt honored & fortunate. A day we will never forget.

I will also give a shout out to his colleague Yvonne who we hired for the Prague Jewish Walking Tour. She too, was gifted & knowledgeable.

Posted by
3109 posts

We visited Terezin in 2003, and I've never ever forgotten it.
I seem to remember we had a guide who worked there walk a group of us around.

A few months after we got home, our local natural gas supplying company where we live in Canada changed their name to "Teresin Gas".
I was so outraged I wrote them a letter, as the name was so similar to the place.
They waffled about how it meant "earth" and other things.
It was changed to a different name a couple of years later; and I always wondered if they had other complaints.

Posted by
1 posts

I would echo what Stefan says. I’m so glad that I found Pavel Batel online and booked him to take me and my family on a private tour of Terezin. Even before we came to Prague he was highly responsive to my enquiries about family members who were in Terezin and generously conducted research on them.
This meant he could bring our visit alive by showing us where they would most probably have lived or worked and what that would have been like for them.
Pavel met us promptly at our hotel and from the moment we got in his car he was telling us stories about Terezin and its history. And he continued to share so much throughout the day, taking us round the ghetto in the morning and the horrific small fortress later in the day.
Where appropriate he also gave us time to look around exhibits at our own pace. The Memorial Hall of the Terezín Ghetto’s Children is particularly moving.
Our young adult children (19 and 21) were unsure about making the trip at all but found Pavel extremely engaging and sensitive to his audience. His extensive knowledge, passion and storytelling skills shine through.
Terezin is a fascinating, horrifying and humbling place to visit and our family links made it a priority for us to see. But even without that connection, I’d highly recommend going to Terezin with Pavel to anyone who wants to know more about a particularly dark time in recent history and understand what being held there was like for so many innocent people who lost their lives (or in a few cases survived against the odds) as a result of it.

Posted by
1 posts

We also had an amazing tour of Terezin with Pavel Batel – this was our second tour with him but a first for two couples that traveled with us. It was an exceptional experience. Pavel is a historian and author on the subject – he shares his knowledge and passion for the Holocaust through his many interviews and research. His expert storytelling makes the day go by so fast that you wish you had more time to spend with him. We learned so much. One of the best tour guides we’ve ever had and we travel a lot. I highly recommend a tour with Pavel.

Posted by
27 posts

Thank you for sharing this. I'm leaving next week for a tour that ends in Prague and was considering a day trip to Terezin. I'm preparing myself for the emotional effects this place will have but think I'm ready. I'll try to connect with him re his availability.

Posted by
104 posts

I, too, had the privilege of having Pavel as a tour guide for Terezin when I visited Prague a couple of years ago. He is an incredible guide whose knowledge and passion know no bounds. He truly makes you feel the despair that was experienced during the war.

Posted by
161 posts

A group of four participated in a private tour of Terezin with Pavel Batel. He is incredibly knowledgeable, courteous and professional. His passion for this terrible place resonated with us and he just made the past come alive. We can’t recommend him enough.

Posted by
1 posts

We took a private tour of the Terezin Memorial with Pavel Batel in May 2022. I honestly can't imagine any other way to visit such a site. First of all Pavel picked us up at our hotel & drove us, eliminating the need to figure out transportation. Once there Pavel shared his wealth of knowledge and insight after many years of research, interviews, book writing & even movie making. He brought not only the horrors of that moment in time to life but also touching moments, of people faced with such great evil realizing that they must help each other. I highly recommend a private tour with Pavel. Plan for a full day. www.terezin-private-tours.com