Please sign in to post.

Self-guided bike tour in Burgundy, France May 2012

May 18-25, 8 days of easy biking through vineyards & wheatfields of Burgundy. Organized by Detours-in-France, most of the routes were sleepy secondary roads or designated bikeways. Florent worked with us in customizing our itinerary. We stayed in very comfortable 2 star hotels - our luggage was taxied for us. Most of breakfasts & dinners included - some were truly exceptional. A relatively low cost trip that even my bike challenged wife enjoyed!

Posted by
71 posts

Would love to know more details, like where you stayed, where you had your most memorable meal, etc... Spill the beans!

Posted by
6 posts

Yes, we rented hybrid-style bikes (though they have ones w/ drop type handlebars, as well). Check out www.detours-in-france.com - Florent is fluent in English & easy to work with.

Posted by
9404 posts

Thanks for the website George, sounds like a trip I'd enjoy. I'd love to hear more details about it!

Posted by
4406 posts

Already in my 'France file' LOL! Thanks!!! And more info would be great; I have to live vicariously for now :-(

Posted by
6 posts

Since I've gotten more "hits" - I'll elaborate. Our daytrip lengths varied from ~18 to 35 miles. Lots of photo-op stops for Chateaus, vineyards and even a secluded moulin (windmill). Our hotel or B&B hosts were truly hospitable. The plus side of doing a self-guided tour is going our own pace and taking breaks as we pleased. The down side is having to be alert to frequent turns at various times - French roadsigns are a bit different than those in the U.S. On one leg of our tour, after 18 wet miles, we had to settle for a taxi to get us & our bikes to the next village. But, hey, that's part of the adventure! There is a very descriptive YouTube video at the Detours-in-france website. Let me know if you have specific questions.