Please sign in to post.

Scotland tips

Just returned from RS Scotland tour. Well worth it. Satisfied most of our normal Scotland history questions. Then rented a car in Edinburgh for two weeks in the Highlands. Here's a few suggestions:
1. Be very careful when renting a car to see that you get the proper insurance. Unlike on other car-rental vacations, in Scotland we bought the road-hazard insurance. Was well worth it, because of the Scotland road conditions and the fact that because Americans are not used to driving on the left, the left front tires of rental cars often are damaged. We had such a tire and because we were on the isle of Skye and had the insurance, a new car was delivered to us within a day.
2. A few lodging suggestions at affordable prices -- In Edinburgh, the Angel's Share Hotel just a block from Princess Street and a few blocks from downtown; in Glencoe, the Ghlasdruim B&B with Maureen as host. In town and Maureen had good suggestions for local sightseeing; after the ferry to Armadale on Skye, the Morar B&B hosted by Janey and husband and two young daughters. Good location and wonderful breakfasts; In Portree at the Marine House on the picturesque waterfront with Fiona as hosts. A delightful spot. In Gairloch, a day's drive northwest from Portree, try the Oakwood Guest House near the village and on a picturesque golf course. In Glasgow, before the flight home, the Holiday Inn Express a few steps from the airport was good. Arrived a day early and had to accept a room at the Travel Lodge near the Holiday Inn Express. Avoid the Travel Lodge at all costs. Bad service, dirty room, skimpy breakfast all at awful price.

Posted by
34 posts
  1. Be very careful when renting a car to see that you get the proper insurance.

basically, if they offer it, buy it.

after I left Skye, driving from Mallaig to Ft William, I came through a right-hand bend and an oncoming truck was about half-way into my lane. had to go off the pavement and right there was broken asphalt. scraped the left front wheel and punctured the back left tire. took it to a tire shop the next morning and it took a couple hours of phone tag, but the insurance paid for it. took the car back to Hertz, showed them the damage and was told "don't worry about it, you're covered"

Posted by
440 posts

What type of tyre damage is caused by people not used to driving on the left. Good tips thank you

Posted by
65 posts

Tire damage usually to left front wheel and tire from scraping curbs and running off roads into ruts and coming back onto the pavement.

Posted by
9584 posts

I know I did it to my rental car, and was very glad I'd paid the extra for the insurance!!