Please sign in to post.

Scotland May 2019

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped with our trip. I am going to split up our trip into Scotland and Iceland segments. We spent close to two weeks in Scotland. It was a driving trip for both countries. It gave us lots of freedom but it was also very tiring. We could have slowed down but I am not sure where because we enjoyed each stop. My husband used his phone with Google Maps and put in each stop the day before. This worked well.

For Scotland, there were three of us, my sister in law, hubby and myself. We each picked out one thing we just had to do. The three things ended up being: visiting an old friend in Portmahomack (north of Inverness), Hadrian’s Wall in Northern England and the Falkirk Wheel. Yep, talk about being all over the place.

MAY 15TH(WED)-We arrived in Edinburgh at 9:15AM and grabbed our car. We drove to Hexham England right away. This worked out well for us. We usually don’t get jet lag until the next day.
Stops made:
1. Rosslyn Chapel-well worth it.
2. Melrose Abbey-also very enjoyable.
3. We stayed in an Airbnb in Acomb, England thinking we could walk to the pub. Unfortunately, the only pub in town was closed except for the weekend. We drove into Hexham each night for dinner.
MAY 16TH(THURS)-Hadrian’s Wall- I have ALWAYS wanted to do Hadrian’s Wall since I was little. I know that Antoine’s Wall is in Scotland and therefore closer but I just had to go to Hadrian’s Wall. It did not disappoint.
Stops made:
1. Birdoswald-really nice
2. Steel Rig-Milecastle 380, Sycamore-amazing hike; Crag Lough
3. Lunch at Twice Brewed Pub-this was a good one
4. Dinner at Heart of Northumberland with a walk around the town of Hexham and a stop at Hexham Abbey.
5. Good source: HADRIANSWALLCOUNTRY.CO.UK

MAY 17(FRI)-Drive to Glencoe
Stops made:
1. Dumfries House Estate-really nice and an interesting concept-ate lunch there.
2. Loch Lomond/Trossachs National Park-drove through. It was lovely but the day was overcast and cold so we just stopped at a couple of places to take pictures.
3. We stayed at the Isles of Glencoe Hotel in Ballachulish. This was a lovely place and great walking around the tip of the loch. Probably one of our favorite places we stayed. Ate dinner at the hotel.

MAY 18TH (SAT)-Drive to the Isle of Skye –Again a lovely drive but was too cloudy to see much so we didn’t stop until we reached Eileen Donan Castle which was lovely. We had soup in the cafeteria and then drove on to Portree. We spent 2 nights in an Airbnb in Portree. We had a special dinner at Scorrybreag (Michelin star rated). We made these reservations a month earlier. It was real worth it.

MAY 19TH (SUN)-Isle of Skye
Stops made:
1. Drove to the Fairy Pools-on one of those interesting Scottish roads. We arrived later then we wished and ran out of time to do too much hiking. We got up early the next day and drove back to the fairy pools and did a nice hike before leaving the Isle of Skye.
2. Talisker Distillery- We had 11:00 reservation for the tour. I am not sure we needed it but later in the season absolutely.
3. Edinbane Inn-for lunch and listened to traditional music due to it being their anniversary.
4. Drove the Trotternish Peninsula Loop-and stopped at the Neist Point Lighthouse. Truly amazing views
MAY 20TH (MON)-Drive to Portmahomack. We stayed here with friends. It was a nice break for 3 nights and found there was quite a bit to do.

Stops made:
1. Urquhart Castle- we enjoyed it and it had lovely views even in the rain.

Posted by
681 posts

Scotland Part 2:
2. Loch Ness-we drove through the mountains to get to Loch Ness. My sister-in-law wanted to do the boat ride but we just missed the boat and so we just had lunch. While we were driving to Loch Ness, we received a text that our daughter was in labor and then another that she was having an emergency C-Section. Then we lost all internet connections. When we entered the town of Loch Ness-internet services returned and we had us another grandbaby-a little girl name Molly. Needless to say, we bought too much baby stuff at the gift shop and think of her as our own little Nessie.

MAY 21ST (TUES)-Portmahomack
Stops made while driving around the area:
1. Tarbat Discovery Center-very interesting
2. Tarbat Ness Lighthouse- lovely. Our friend use to live at this lighthouse so it made it so special
3. Hugh Miller Cottage via ferry in the town of Cromarty
4. Cromarty Lighthouse
5. The Mermaid of the North
6. Hilton of Cadbol-really cool

MAY 22ND (WED)-STAY AT PORTMAHOMACK
Stops made:
1. Dunrobin Castle-Probably one of our favorites. There was a falconry exhibition and the castle itself was lovely as well as the views and gardens.

MAY 23RD (THURS)-Drive to Edinburgh; We stayed 3 nights in an Airbnb in New Town next to Thistle Street. It was a great location. My husband dropped us as well as the luggage off and went to the airport to get rid of the car.

Stops made on the way to Edinburgh.
1. Clava Cairns- I truly enjoyed this spot.

2. Perth to visit a close friend who moved back to Scotland from the US. She was in the hospital. So glad we did as she passed away a week later.
3. Falkirk Wheel- We had reservations for 4:10. This was my hubby must do. It was very nice and he loved it. We hit our 3 for 3 must dos!!
4. Kelpies-These statues are amazing and so close to the Falkirk Wheel we just had to do. Glad we stopped.
5. Dinner at Café Andaluz on Thistle St. which was just down the street from our place. One of our favorite dinners.

MAY 24TH (FRI)-Edinburgh-
Stops made:
1. Edinburgh Castle- a must do
2. Walk the Royal Mile-another must
3. St. Giles’ Cathedral-nice break from the walk
4. Holyroodhouse Palace-It was closed due to a Scottish Presbyterian Conference. We had tea at the restaurant there and went to the Queen’s Gallery. Excellent exhibit!
5. That night Sandy Bell’s for traditional music and a couple of pints. This was a highlight. Thanks Mike and the rest of the gang that led us there.

MAY 25TH (SAT)-EDINBURGH
Stops made:
1. National Museum of Scotland

MAY 26TH (SUN)-Train to Glasgow- We spent one night at the Grand Hotel which is attached to the train depot so very easy.

Stops made:
1. Mural Trail-www.citycentremuraltrail.co.uk. I loved this.
2. Willow Tea Room-designed by Mackintosh. Very enjoyable

MAY 27TH (MON)- MEMORIAL DAY-Left for Iceland.

Posted by
4682 posts

You have "Your own little Nessie"-
How sweet!