Please sign in to post.

Scandinavia

We are planning our next trip (September 2015) and are planning on doing Norway, Sweden, Finland (with a side trip to Tallin) and Denmark to name a few. I'm trying to figure out how much time in each country (we will be in Eurpoe for a total of approximately 3 -3 1/2 weeks).

We are looking at going north in Norway to see the Northern lights....is early September to early?

Best way to travel from each of these countries--i.e is it easier to take a flight from Norway to Sweden, etc.

From what I have read Finland (Helsinki and possibly Turku) sounds like we could get away with 2 days (including the side trip to Tallin). Is that possible?

What are some of your favorite places in these countries? We like to do some of the must see's for tourists but also tend to like the "off the beaten path" type things. We aren't really huge musuem folks unless it's something that is a definite must see.

Would love to stay at B&B's if possible and are pretty easy going and low maintenance.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Posted by
4150 posts

You might get more and better help if you post this under Destination Q&A...General Europe (because of multiple countries) or the individual countries. "Trip Reports" is where people usually tell about their trips after they return from them.

Posted by
94 posts

It has been 23 years since I went to Sweden and Finland but I'm sure my route is still relevant. I took a daytime, day-long Viking (be aware that the correct pronunciation is Vicking, as in the word "ick" - a short "i" instead of the long "i" as in eye). cruise/ferry ship from Stockholm to Turku that went through the Åland Island archipelago. I happened to be going on a beautiful, sunny late May day and the archipelago was unbelievably stunning. Just making your way out of the Stockholm harbor is interesting. It's very easy to get to the dock where the ships take off. Although located near Gamla Stan (picturesque old town), you'll still want to take a metro (or whatever they call them). Turku is a very interesting Finnish city with castle and cathedral to see. Take a city bus tour there and in Helsinki as well. To get to Helsinki, ride the train. I estimate that you'll need two nights (one full day for exploring) in Turku and 3 nights in Helsinki (half day for train and two full days for sightseeing).