Please sign in to post.

Ricks #1 Tour to Portugal for 2024

I just got back from an indepth tour of Portugal. I speak Spanish fluently, but I wish I could speak some Portuguese. I was with a tour but I was solo. I felt very safe. One morning in Lisbon, I ventured out to get coffee and a pastry. No one bothered me, in fact a young lady actually walked me to the cafe. The people were endearing, just as friendly as Ireland or more. I went to a fish market. I watched an experienced guy cut up a huge shark. Some of the buildings and colors reminded me of Cuba. The Alcarve was a bit touristy for me. Only spend a couple of days there. Town of Faro in the south was nice. Porto was special. I enjoyed the boat ride on the river with a glass of port. The prices were higher there. They were adding to their metro system, so the streets were torn up a bit. Employees live on the out skirts and commute into Porto. Like in so many European cities. Braga was serene and beautiful. I took the funicular up to the church where a wedding was going on. I expected Rick Steves to pop out and say Bon Dia. Just hanging out in every city and soaking up the ambiance is the way to travel. Abrigado!!!

Posted by
2391 posts

I don't understand your title.
You don't seem to have been on a Rick Steves tour, and it's 2023.

Posted by
10 posts

I just read all of Ricks top tours for 2024. I'm just reminiscing about beautiful Portugal in general. I understand why it's #1.
Haha...I do know that it's currently 2023.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks for the trip report. I am heading there in April of 2024 with a RS tour. Traveling solo also. I don't speak Portugese or Spanish, but hope to pick up a bit of Spanish before my trip.

Posted by
427 posts

Yes--I also speak Spanish well as a former Spanish teacher (though I never consider myself fluent), but Portuguese has been hard to learn. Took a course in it one summer but it just came out of my mouth sounding too much like mangled Spanish. I want to do the Camino Portugues in a couple years. so would love to be able to at least get by. I feel bad for the shark.