Please sign in to post.

Report on France Trip Sept 30 - Oct 20, 2014: Part II - Outside of Paris

Outside of Paris:

1. Very friendly and helpful locals in Loire Valley, Dordogne, and Provence including: a lady in Avignon who insisted on giving us a mini private tour around the area near the Papal Palaces; near Arles, another lady who actually got into our car to help us find where we were going; and a elderly gentlemen in Amboise who ended our pantomime conversation with "Viva les États-Unis!" and we responded with "Vive la France!"

2. Best and freshest food ever eaten including bull, rabbit, pig's cheeks, chicken, pork, beef, escargots, fish and other sea foods along with locally grown vegetables and legumes.

3. Best bread and jams.

4. Beautiful and delicious French pastries.

5. Good wines, although we are not experts in any way.

6. Got to see three caves in Dordogne: Font-de-Gaume, Peche Merle, and Lascaux II without much hassle.
    Honeymooners from Boston just showed up at Font de Gaume and got it in and there were still two spaces available for the tour. Our tour was not supposed to be in English, but the very enthusiastic lady tour guide went ahead and spoke English since we were all Americans.

7. Our credit cards worked at all ticket booths.

8. Toilets were clean and free.

9. Drank tap water with no problems.

10. Never thought I would like France so much.

Posted by
46 posts

After my first visit to France in 2009, I also felt a strong kinship with statement #10! Have returned 4 times since, with another quick trip for New Years this year!

Lisa

Posted by
138 posts

@Lisa, glad to hear you also like France. This was our second time to Paris in 28 years, but first time going through France outside of Paris. Pleasantly surprised what a great trip it turned out to be. But don't think we will have the money to go back unless we win the lottery. It was a trip of a lifetime! We will have our memories and photos to help us remember.

Posted by
1633 posts

Dee you're right, France is amazing with lots to see and experience--Roman ruins, outdoor markets, hilltowns, chateaus, Abbeys/Monasteries, wine tasting in caves and, of course, wonderful food. Like yourself, I enjoyed southern France immensely (the whole month of September) and am anxious to return.

Posted by
13946 posts

I love your report! It sounds like you had a wonderful time.