Please sign in to post.

Report: How long my expedited passport renewal took in June 2023

I did overnight mail to the expedited address in Philadelphia and paid the expedite fee.

Mailed out June 14th.
Received in the system on June 20th.

Received my passport back today - July 8th.

24 days from start to finish. Boy am I relieved given all the stories about delays.

Note: yesterday I got a notice that the passport had shipped. Today, that shipping notice and tracking info was gone and the passport status said "Approved" and printing. But I have no idea why that showed up - clearly the passport was on its way yesterday.

Posted by
911 posts

Things must be improving at the State Department. We mailed ours expedited on April 25, 2023; in the system on April 27, 2023 and the new passport was delivered on June 10, 2023. Right at 7 weeks.

Posted by
3698 posts

Great news. My husband did everything you did and mailed his out on 5/30 and showed received in the system on June 5th. It shows as of today as still processing. Luckily, we are not traveling until October.

Posted by
2622 posts

I have to say - I’m pretty shocked to have it back already. I was hoping for August - this was pretty amazing.

Posted by
289 posts

Kim, thanks for posting the link to that article with very up-to-date information.

Posted by
2344 posts

Updating Valerie's post with my recent (and very similar) passport renewal experience. Though I had about 10 months left on my passport, I decided to get a new one so I don't need to worry about the 6+ months validity issue while planning my 2024 travels. I was also worried about the State Department's current stated processing deadlines (5-7 weeks expedited, 8-11 weeks standard) and the ongoing threat of government shutdown (sigh).

I mailed my paperwork with expedited fee to the Philadelphia, PA processing address on Oct. 10 via USPS priority mail. It was picked up on Oct. 13 and on Oct. 16 the website showed "in process" status. Around Nov. 1 the status changed to "approved for printing" and on Nov. 2 I got a USPS informed delivery notice about a shipped package from passport services in Tucson, Arizona (not Philly). Today (Nov. 4) I got my passport in the mail - 25 days from mailing, 19 from the "in process" date. I suppose I could have gone the non-expedited route but I was willing to pay for more certainty - I'm pleased with the turnaround regardless. YMMV.

BTW though I signed up for email notices about the status of my processing, I didn't get any at all, so I don't know if that feature actually works as intended. I just checked the passport processing status website every few days - that kept me informed enough.

Posted by
15585 posts

A friend of mine in Chicago sent in her passport application (her old one expired decades ago) on Sept 1 and got it about a week ago.