Please sign in to post.

Quick Iceland Trip in Aug. 2023

Thanks to all the advice and suggestions for my quick, 2.5 day trip to Iceland, I got to see quite a lot.
Flew Iceland Air from Frankfurt, and landed at 08:40. Flying from Frankfurt, there is no passport control. Had booked the Flybus ahead of time, went out, and we left right away for the 45 min. ride to Reykyavik. Got there about 10:30 and walked from the bus station up to the church, which is visible from almost everywhere. Took a few photos from outside, but by the time I wanted to go up in the tower, they closed because of Sunday church services. So, headed into the city center, walked around, and had a delicious cheesecake with strawberry jam and a coffee. Went back to the church and after waiting for them to re-open, was the 1st person in line to go up in the tower. The weather was lovely and got great photos. The bells rang while up there and that was fun!
Came down and walked over to the Harpa concert hall. It was a lovely walk along the beach, everyone sitting out in the sun cause it was about 20°. The Concert Hall is unique and it was the 1st time I ever used my debit card at a toilet. Had a food tour booked for 15:00 that met out front.
I booked the Reykjavik Food Walk for 104€. It lasted 3 hours and it was fun. Maybe 17 of us? Mostly American. We had one stop with 2 fish dishes that were scrumptious, 2nd stop was 2 lamb dishes that were also excellent, 3rd stop was the Icelandic hotdog, 4th stop was the rotten shark and some kind of viking shot, both of which I abstained from, 5th stop was rye bread ice cream which was way better than you would think. The guide was lively and engaging.
Took a taxi to my guesthouse - the Blue House, which is sort of on a penninsula with a light house. Sadly, I was always too tired to walk out to the beach! It had its' good points and bad points and though the location was good, without a car, it was tough getting into the city and there were no restaurants or stores near-by. The owner was absent and frankly, not my favorite person. If they had given me a refund 3 years ago, I would not have had to pay an extra 75€ to stay here, due to price increases. The bath room was weird. A bath set up under such a sloping ceiling, you could not stand up. Shower was downstairs.

Slept well and was picked up the next morning at 08:00 for my tour to the South Coast run by EastWest. Cost was 122.20€. This was a fantastic tour, in a small bus for 19px. We saw a lot! Waterfalls, the black beach, puffins, a glacier, the town of Vik, and didn't get back to my guesthouse until 20:30. I was exhausted, but thrilled with all the sites we got to visit. Our guide, Adolph, was wonderful, and quite chatty. He did tell us that there was a small percent chance of seeing the northern lights that night and the next. That if we weren't sure and the clouds looked odd, to take a photo with our phone. I though, ok, good to know. Got up in the middle of the night, as one does, looked out the window and thought, hmm, that cloud does look funny, let me try taking a photo. YES!!! It was all green. Took a whole slew of pics and then it faded. The dawn was breaking by then too. Waited my whole life to see these, and though it wasn't quite the same as seeing those massive waves in person, with glowing colors, this was still a very special treat.

Had to take the bus into town in the morning for my next tour, and got picked up at 09:30. This was the Golden Circle Tour, run by BusTravel Iceland for 158.42€. Small bus, but we were only 5. Visited the volcanic crater which was cool and a huge, massive water fall. Then we stopped for lunch at the tomato farm, Fridheimar. Wasn't that excited about stopping here, but quickly changed my mind. This is a really cool place, and lunch here was absolutely delicious. They aren't joking about the wonderful tomato soup, plus I had tomato ice cream.
(cont:)

Posted by
8943 posts

Loved seeing all the huge bumble bees that they import from the Netherlands. They grow about 1000 tons of tomatoes here each year. Even if you are not on a tour, stop by and have a great lunch and admire what they are doing here. We then went outside to see the horses and have a demonstration of their gaits. I had wanted to ride, but this was lovely too, getting to pet them. There were more things to see, so we headed out. I really liked the Geysers and all the steam escaping from the earth. More waterfalls, and then a stop where the plates of the earth are separating. We had snacks and headed back to town. Our tour ended at the Sky Lagoon, where we had a Pure Pass and 2 hours to visit. The lagoon was nice, but would have been nicer if I wasn't single or maybe had more time. I think I would go for the premium pass the next time, with the private shower and changing room. The 7 Step Ritual was great and almost a month later, my legs still feel smooth from it. The sauna has a huge plate glass window that looks out over the ocean. The lagoon itself is an eternity pool, so you swim over and gaze out over the ocean. Lots of natural rock is used here. I enjoyed my time here, but 2 hours was about enough. The tour had a taxi take us back to our meeting point, but because the others had gone, had the taxi take me to my guest house.
Up early in the morning with a taxi ride at 06:45 to the bus station. The Fly bus was full and got to the airport with time to spare. No real check-in, just show your ticket and passport. Left at 10:30 and had a peaceful flight back to Frankfurt.

Ended up booking all of my tours and the bus rides with Viator as they took PayPal and for whatever reason, my BOA card just did not work. In Iceland, sometimes it worked and other times not. Same thing with my EC debit card. Sometimes it was ok, others not. The taxis were not as expensive as I expected. From my guest house to the bus station, it was about 30€. The other time I took one, it was about 22€. I forgot what it cost to go up in the church tower, but I think it was about 8-10€? Lunch at the Tomato farm was quite reasonable and served in a beautiful setting. Hard to believe you are in Iceland when you are here. http://www.fridheimar.is/en/restaurant
If you are going on the South Coast tour, bring your poncho or rain coat, especially if you want to get up close to the water falls. Good hiking boots were a plus. The seafood restaurant was: https://www.messinn.com/messinn-reykjavik Fabulous food. Best rye bread in my life and the Char was scrumptious.
Weather was unbelievably warm, 20-22° during the day and mornings and nights were not bad either. They all said it was special.

If you only have one day to tour here, I would do the South Coast instead of the Golden Circle. You see so much more and the waterfalls are so special.

Posted by
3227 posts

Thank you for sharing, you certainly did fit in quite a bit! We hope to add a stopover on one of our future trips to Europe.

Posted by
10225 posts

Wow, you certainly used the limited time you had to do as much as possible. I’m glad you had a great trip and you’ve inspired me to see if we can manage a stop over in Iceland on our way to Europe in 2025. Sadly there’s no time next year to make that happen.

Posted by
2027 posts

Thank you for coming back and letting us know how it all went. Sounds like everything was great, minus the lodging, but oh well, you were in Iceland! :) You are making me even more anxious to get back there.

So glad you saw the aurora! You just never know!

We head back in February and already have Sky and the food tour booked, yet again. This time it will be just my daughter and I, and she has not done either of these, so it will be a treat for her.

Posted by
1322 posts

Nice trip report Ms Jo. I appreciated your confirmation of wearing a raincoat for the time at the waterfalls. I had read that previously and have packed that jacket along with a puffy coat for colder weather. My 3 day trip to Iceland and then 2 weeks in Portugal is coming up in less than 2 weeks. The pre-pack is done to see what fits and what doesn’t. Might have to reevaluate my personal item. I’m doing basically the same itinerary you did but booked through Reykjavik Excursions and we are going to the Fontana springs. Their prices were a tad higher than yours but still affordable.

I’ll be sure to look outside during the night for any unusual looking skies. Glad you saw some green glow.

Posted by
8943 posts

Linda, my poncho is an Altus and only weighs 340gr. and packs really small. For those who are doing carry-on only, it works well. Took a small bag with my on the bus tour that had my poncho, scarf, hat, plastic pouch for my iphone, cable to charge my phone and a water bottle.

Posted by
6510 posts

Thanks for this great report. I had a memorable day in Reykjavik years ago but have never been back except for KEF stopovers. There's certainly a lot more to see beyond the city, and I need to carve out some time there as part of a longer Europe trip. What kind of daylight hours did you have in August?

Posted by
2675 posts

Great report!! This is very helpful as I’m just starting to think about a trip to Iceland for 2025. It sounds like you enjoyed both your day tours.

I hate to ask, but one thing I always wonder about is availability of bathroom breaks on the tours. Where they frequent enough?

Posted by
2713 posts

I enjoyed your report, Jo. I hope to get to Iceland someday, and I don’t want to drive. I was happy to hear there are good day tour options. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by
8943 posts

Carrie, every place we stopped had WC and our drivers would have been happy to have stopped someplace if needed. A few times we stopped for that kind of break as well as snacks. They really made sure this was not a problem.

Posted by
2675 posts

Great, thanks for the info. on the bathroom stops. I’m thinking of just staying in Reykyavik and doing some day tours.

Posted by
427 posts

Thanks for sharing Ms. Jo! I’ll be in Iceland this winter with my family for 3 nights (Icelandair stopover) so this was helpful to read. We are planning on staying in Reykjavik and doing day trips. How amazing that you had such nice weather and got a peek at the Northern Lights!

The Sky Lagoon looks amazing but looks like it’s not for younger kids (which is probably why it’s so relaxing). ;)