Please sign in to post.

Pre-Trip Report: First trip out of the US since 2019

We're leaving for Mexico on a trial run for two hopeful Europe trips later this year. I'll report on COVID testing in Mexico before our return flight. We're doing a private driver tour of Mayan sites and colonial cities in the Yucatan. After a ton of research, I found a company that seems really fun and reliable. This trip replaces a Road Scholar tour called Water and the Maya, that was cancelled back in January.

Posted by
3830 posts

Looking forward to reading about your trip, Valerie. Happy (and safe!) travels!

Posted by
2622 posts

Thanks, Dave! We’re still hoping to reschedule that dinner with you someday!

Posted by
7321 posts

Valerie, are extra Covid precautions being asserted or verified by your private driver? Maybe that makes a difference, but is the driver certified as being vaccinated, or exercising mask requirements fir driver abs passengers, or things like that?

Hope your weather is good, and your sights and experiences are overwhelmingly rewarding. Should be worth the wait you had to endure!

Posted by
2622 posts

@Cyn - Yes, masks are required for the van - for both of us and the driver.

Posted by
449 posts

We're leaving for Mexico on a trial run for two hopeful Europe trips later this year.

Where in Mexico are you heading to? My wife and I are heading to Oaxaca in September. I've always wanted to go since I discovered that Oaxaca is the native habitat of Free-Range Mezcal. When I come back I'll tell everyone the parts that I remember and aren't under legal embargo.

-- Mike Beebe

Posted by
2622 posts

@Mike Beebe - I am a nut for colonial cities and hacienda architecture and my partner loves really old archaeological sites. So we are headed to Valladolid, Merida, Chichen Itza, Ek Balam and more, along with a lot of cenotes. We'll end the trip relaxing for two days near Cancun.

Posted by
2303 posts

Looking forward to your report. I’d love to take a similar trip someday soon. My youngest son (14) is in a Spanish Immersion program. We’ve been to Guatemala and Spain, and will get to Mexico eventually. I’m drawn to the Yucatán for the ruins, but I’m not a fan of the heat (I’m from the PNW as well).

Posted by
2622 posts

@Mary - Thank you! We had a great trip and are working now on the final details for our next trip: France in September!

Posted by
2425 posts

Valerie, you should consider turning these travel stories into a book.