Please sign in to post.

Prague

I had some trepidation prior to our first trip to Prague last month, but everyone assured me that neither the language barrier nor the different currency would be problems and that we would love Prague. I'm here to report that they (mostly) weren't and we did! A blog I enjoyed reading prior to the trip was bbqboy.net. I may have heard about it on this forum. I especially enjoyed the post called "Prague's most scenic walk" (Letna beer garden to Strahov Monastery). We had gorgeous weather for making that walk (and for most of our week in Prague), which was a bonus.

Posted by
8159 posts

We too enjoyed Prague, and taking the Free Walking Tour helped us find our way around. We went back and took their nightlife tour of bars and restaurants, and had a great time. But the only thing we found inexpensive there was the beer.

We're also big on Budapest as it's beautiful and a very inexpensive place to travel to.

Posted by
21 posts

Janet, did you happen to write up the things you did during your time in Prague? If so, could you post it here? Even a list is fine, just thought it would give me ideas. Thanks.

Posted by
2186 posts

We had six full days in Prague. We had such wonderful weather that we spent a majority of our time outdoors. We visited very few museums. We also intentionally chose to limit our time in the heavily touristed areas, helped by staying in an apartment in an outer district (7th).
Day 1 - "Prague's most scenic walk" (see above). We stopped at the Royal Gardens, where we went through the castle security, strolled through the (beautiful) gardens and entered the castle. We learned later that this was the best route to enter the castle, as there were few or no people waiting in the security line whereas the other castle entrances had monstrous lines. While we were at the castle, it started to rain, so we walked downhill to the tram stop rather than continuing the scenic walk that day. After the rain stopped, we did Rick Steves' Old Town Walk.
Day 2 - We walked up Petrin Hill to the tower and then off the back side of the hill to the Strahov Monastery and through the grounds to Loreto Square. In the afternoon we visited Kampa Island and Shooter's Island.
Day 3 - Went up to Vysehrad fortress, went by the Dancing House and took a tour of the Municipal House. That evening we went to the opera at the National Theatre.
Day 4 - Did Rick Steves' Wenceslas Square walk. Went to the National Marionette Theatre for a shortened production of Mozart's opera The Magic Flute.
Day 5 - Visited the Wallenstein Gardens. Went to a spot where people were feeding swans (from the west end of the Manesuv Most bridge, we went left and down the hill to the river). Did Rick Steves' Jewish Quarter walk. Went to a student recital at the Prague Music Conservatory (free).
Day 6 - Went back to the castle via the Royal Gardens. Visited the cathedral and the Lobkowicz Palace (with audiotour) - excellent!

The one area I wish we had visited (I was reminded of it after we got home) is Novy Svet, an area full of narrow, crooked streets with small colorful houses from the 14th century. Next time!

Posted by
1 posts

I'm so glad you had a good time and didn't encounter and problems. My husband and I are going to Prague for the first time next month and I'm excited but worried and anxious at the same time. I've been watching a lot of videos of scams in Prague and I'm really freaked out in particular with the taxis situation. Would you consider everything to be walking distance? How did you get around?

Posted by
2186 posts

We arrived in Prague by train and, at a booth in the train station, purchased transit passes (good on bus, tram and metro). We walked a short distance to a tram stop and took a tram that dropped us off very near to our apartment in Prague 7. After that, we mostly took the tram or walked everywhere we wanted to go, though we also did a few rides on the metro. All were easily done with the help of a map called "Trams and Metro in Prague." Be sure to get one when you buy your passes. You can get one-day or three-days passes. Single-ride tickets are also available, of course. but the passes make things really easy.

Posted by
77 posts

I've been to Prague a couple times. Once about 3 years ago on a business trip and recently on a RickSteves eastern Europe tour. In general I really like Prague.. However there are a few things I've learned:

1) The Charles Bridge is pretty much something I'll avoid on future trips. Absolutely choked with people especially on weekends as well as any of the streets feeding on either side. Just too crowded.

2) I'll never stay down in the heart of the old city again. On my previous trip I stayed over at the Hilton which was pretty civilized. But on this trip I stayed near the old town square and ended up listening to drunken obnoxious football fans until 5AM each morning. It was just over the top.
3) The Jewish Cemetery is something that is just amazing to see.

4) For me about 3 days is enough in Prague.