Please sign in to post.

Portugal

My husband and I have have never been to Portugal together and we are thinking we will go in August. We would like to spend a few days in Lisbon, take a few day trips and then spend a few days at the beach. Any suggestions for an itinerary? How many days will we need?

Thanks

Posted by
2788 posts

We took the RS Portugal tour last year and found it very interesting. It started in Lisbon and ended in Porto. You might want to go to the RS Tour web page and click thru to the Portugal tour to check out its daily itinerary for some good information.

Posted by
362 posts

Cascais is a coastal town, easy day trip from Lisbon by train.

Posted by
19 posts

My husband and I were in Portugal a few years ago and spent an entire week in the Algarve, the most beautiful beach area we have ever been, and yes we have been to many beaches on the east and west coast of US. We preferred to stay in fishing villages vs touristy areas such as Lagos and Faro, and loved it. It is along the southern edge of Portugal, only a few hours drive from Lisbon. You must go there if you are going to Portugal. It is a can't miss.

Posted by
17 posts

I was staying in Sesimbra 2 years ago. Really liked. There were many restaurants and cafes. The exit to the ocean was perfect. It took around 1.5 hours to get to Lisbon by bus.
I recommend this place if you a more interested in calm holidays, I mean without partying at the night.

My husband and I are headed to Spain and Portugal. We have Spain mapped out, and will finish our trip in Porto, but between Seville and Porto we aren't sure. We are foodies and prefer to be off the beaten path. Where did your trip take you?

Posted by
72 posts

We spent about 9 days in Portugal last September and loved it. We spent a few days in Lisbon then rented a car and slowly made our way south to Faro before getting on a bus to Sevilla. If you like food and want a coastal town - we really loved Vila Nova de Milfontes. Not too touristy and very manageable. Almost every restaurant had a big grill out front - cooking up local fish or other meats. Fresh and delicious.

I wish we had more time there because as we headed out of town to continue south - the inland towns were beautiful, surrounded by orchards and fields. Odemira looks like another great place to visit.

North of Lisbon - we loved Tomar. We were there on market day and we had a wonderful time people watching and buying picnic goodies.

You will love Portugal.