Please sign in to post.

Paris solo - Oct 2021

Travelled to Paris solo on 23 Oct (arrival 24th) , flew Air France fm JFK. Flight was maybe 1/2 full, I had my own row. Arrived 30 minutes early (5 am local time), checked bag came right off and I flew through immigration, waited 3 minutes, max.

Picked up my Navigo Decouvert pass at the office in Terminal 2, no issues (had to wait for the office to open); ended up taking a cab into Paris instead of the RER (the Navigo pass I purchased was not good until the next day, and I knew that in advance and that was ok). I purchased the ND as a solo traveller just because I wanted the flexibility it afforded.

Stayed at a budget hotel (Hotel Marignan, Rue Sommerard) in the Latin Quarter. $520 USD for 7 nights in a single (twin bed only) rm with shared bath/shower, but it included breakfast (which was the largest croissant I have ever seen). The hotel has no lift. I got in at 8, check in is at 12 (I had emailed in advance that I would be in at 9, but everything at CDG went so fast, I was an hour early). They fed me breakfast and got my room ready super early. The owners speak English (the wife is from CT). The only problem? I was on the 7th (US) floor, so 6 floors of 18 steps per floor, and the stairs were all circular!!! No, I’m not in shape but I survived.

That Sunday, I had 1030 Carnavalet ticket (free, but due to Covid, must order tickets online, in advance), so walked there from the hotel to the museum. Such a fabulous museum, newly opened after a multi year/multi million $$ renovation. Then I moseyed around Le Marais, ate at a place on Rue de Rivoli, took a 6:45 Seine Cruise (Vendettes Pont Neuf, easy walking distance to my hotel, as compared to the other 2, who were still not picking up and dropping off any place other than the Eiffel Tower area).

I had a whole week in Paris, left on the 31st. I did purchase the Paris Museum Pass, did it first thing Monday at the Pantheon and did not need a time slot to enter that museum. I did have to schedule the Louvre and Versailles in advance, but generally it was pretty easy on line. You will need both your time slot ticket and your PMP to enter those museums. St Chapelle & the Conciergerie I did on Saturday due to the extra security required for the Bataclan trial – you do go through metal detectors at the Conciergerie even on the weekend. Pre scheduling was needed as well for these museums.
I did not need advanced time slots for Rodin or the Orsay, both allow PMP entrance whenever. LPT for the Orsay – open until 945 pm on Thursdays. They also had a series of musical guests, so I got to hear a wonderful Opera singer while I was at Orsay. The Liberation Museum in the 14th (new, right across from the Catacombs) also did not require advanced time slots.

I did go up the Tour Montparnasse to the 59th floor at sunset, it was awesome (windy, must walk the last 3 flights up), purchased online but no advanced booking required. I walked up and purchased an Eiffel Tower ticket, too, but the very top was closed, only made it to the 2nd floor which was fine.

I joined 2 guided tours – one w/ paris-walks.com (their occupation tour – they’re still running a reduced schedule due to Covid) and a Ghost tour w/ Airbnb Experiences. Both were great, although the ghost tour was more of a history tour (we went to the spot where Henry IV was killed, for example) which was also fine with me.

(continued due to size)

Posted by
818 posts

Tips for Solos – make sure you can check in with someone. I texted my husband constantly so he knew where I was, and I also checked in and posted on Facebook (I have TMobile so I had decent service).

Bring a water bottle, and check out the Wallace drinking fountains for free water.

Train tickets were checked on the RER C to Versailles.

Don’t be afraid of “parlez vous anglais”, but PLEASE learn some French (Bon jou, bon soir, merci, pardonez-moi (while in a crowd, or getting off a metro, for example) . I’m about 4th grade level with a good accent so I had zero issue with anyone in a store being mean, etc.

If you think you’re going to get a better price on something in France because it’s made there, that’s not always true. Example – L’Oreal lipstick was 15E at Monoprix, it’s $8USD at Target here. Other things WERE cheaper, but not always. Get Google pay or whatever Apple calls theirs, it’s very convenient.

I used my USAA Visa debit or my CapOne Mastercard debit almost everywhere. I did get 300E out of the ATM (came out in 50E notes, not 20, so it was a little more difficult to split, but it all worked out). I did not bring my passport with me, I had a copy of my passport main page and my driver’s license. I wear a bra wallet (big enough for some c/c and just attaches to the bra strap) and also carried a cross body (large enough for my water bottle, in case I went to a museum where they weren’t allowed). My cell phone was tethered to a carbiner in my cross body so I didn’t need to worry about dropping it or someone snatching it.

Buy a scarf! Or 8, like me!

Masks were worn everywhere. I did have the Passe Sanitaire and was asked for it (many, but not all restaurants, plus the Louvre, Versailles, Rodin, etc, asked).

Given that Air France is France’s air carrier, I was a little disappointed at CDG – limited bathrooms in terminal 2E, for example, and at one point, you have to walk downstairs a few steps to access. Also, just checking a bag is an order, signs you can’t see until you’ve walked 50 feet for bag drop, for example. There’s little things they could do to make it a little easier to navigate. Give yourself tons of time there.

I have travelled solo before, I’m in upstate NY, so I’ve been to NYC and a part of London solo (it wasn’t a full solo trip), and have done plenty of other travelling with my husband and others. Plus, I’ve been on public transportation almost everywhere, NYC, Boston, Chicago, DC, etc. I would not go to Paris solo if it was my FIRST overseas trip, but if you are moderately experienced, you’ll be fine.

Feel free to ask questions, if any.

Posted by
13906 posts

What a wonderful time you had! I love Paris on my own as well. I can spend as much time as I like in a museum or move on if I get bored!

"Buy a scarf! Or 8, like me!"

That made me laugh out loud! I didn't buy a one last time but I usually do! I'm sure it was easier to get the scarves down from the 7th floor at the end of your trip, lol!

Did you do the Paris Walks occupation tour that started on the Right Bank or the Left bank? I've done the Right bank one twice but didn't click with the lady doing the Left bank one. Do you remember your guide's name?

Thanks so much for posting!

Posted by
4828 posts

Loved your trip report. Thanks for taking the time.

Buy a scarf! Or 8, like me!

That made me LOL. Because I did just that on one trip. One year while we were living in Germany DH asked if I would like to go to Paris for our anniversary. Without thinking (since we'd been there earlier in the year), I replied "What, again?" Shocked at myself, I then said "I can't believe I just said that!" We both laughed; we went; and we had a fabulous time. Even though it was November and rained the whole time. And yes, wound up in a wonderful store with the most beautiful scarves- ALL the ladies in the family got one for Christmas that year.

Posted by
3100 posts

Great report, and I'm happy you had a wonderful time.
I did two solo trips to Paris, Feb 2016 to take a one week French course and then a week after that to look around; then again in March 2017, two weeks , just to see what I didn't see the previous trip.
I had been to Paris three times years before that, and also travel solo about 50% of the time to other destinations.
Highly recommended to travel solo if you are considering it, especially in such a wonderfully interesting city.
You will never be bored in Paris!

Posted by
818 posts

@Pam - I did the walk on the right bank, in October it was there 10:30am walk. And all the scarves are just.so.pretty! I'm really NOT a scarf person, either!

@Jane - there are a couple of sparkling fountains too, but I wasn't looking for them, the regular ones were great and what a beautiful design of them!

@CJean - yeah, I bought the scarves for myself, so they're all getting berets (not the expensive ones). I was at the Samaritaine and one of the hat vendors had one hat (not a beret) for 700E!! Paris loves their hats!

@S J - I'm sure this is not my last solo trip, I really did have a great time and will definitely do it again!

Posted by
2 posts

Hi and thanks for the Paris update. I will be there Dec 9th for a week. How long did it take you to get the pass sanitarium? I’m reading 3to4 days on the French website. I was hoping it was immediate or that same day at the pharmacy issuing such. Thanks, Barbara

Posted by
1478 posts

RE: Wallace Fountains.

I like to set up little treasure hunts for myself when I travel. When I went to Italy, I focused on bridges, for example.
I am taking the RS Paris tour in September of next year and then staying another week on my own. I am marking the locations of the Wallace fountains in my Google maps and will see how many I can visit and photograph. (I do feel sorry for whoever gets stuck looking at my trip photos....here is the Wallace fountain at Place x and here is a Wallace fountain on Rue y and .......)

Posted by
818 posts

@taosena70 - I did the old way of getting the Passe Sanitaire (online, which no longer exists), but I think it was about a month. I applied the day the link came out.

@vandrabrud - you can borrow this map :) https://www.eutouring.com/map_drinking_water_fountains_paris.html I did a little of this treasure hunting, too, but mine was some of the Wall in Paris (also did the Roman wall in London in 2019).

Posted by
13906 posts

Hahaha...that is so funny Vandabrud! And yes, your friends here would probably say..oh yes, that's a good one did you see the one at Avenue Z?

Posted by
9420 posts

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed reading your report. I was just in Paris too, from 10/14 to 10/31, and also flew Air France (nonstop SFO).

I loved hearing about Hotel Marignan. I lived there for 6 wks in 1975 when I moved to Paris and looked for somewhere permanent to live. The hotel has changed very little since then, I often stop in when I’m in Paris and chat with the husband owner. His parents ran it when I lived there and he likes hearing me talk about them. I recommend this hotel to people who are really on a budget. The location is exceptional. In 1975 it was $10/night for a top floor room with a double bed and bathroom/shower down the hall, lol.

As for some French products not always being less money… I tried to buy a Lancome eyeliner pencil at BHV and discovered it cost the same as here. How rude! lol. But I do buy many other things that are less expensive in France.

Thanks for sharing skunk!

Posted by
3100 posts

About cosmetics costing more in Europe.... I am always amazed that I can buy products by Lancome, Bourgeois, etc cheaper here in Canada than in Europe.
The weird one is Boots No. 7 skincare, which is much cheaper here at home than in the UK where the chain Boots the Chemist is.
I was in Zurich airport a few years ago and saw a Lindt chocolatier demonstrating the Lindt products.
The prices were three times more for the chocolate bars than I pay here in my local stores.
He didn't believe me when I told him.

Berets sound like lovely presents for your friends!

Posted by
818 posts

@Susan - lovely to see someone that stayed at the Marignan back in the day! The owners are lovely, and their son (who is also fluent in English) works there on the weekends, it seems, he's a great guy too!

I did snag at WONDERFUL shopping tote at BHV/Marias for 5.5Euro, it's a huge carryall shopping bag, I should've bought more, lol. I did buy a bag at Longchamp, same Euro price there as it in the US! I'm sure if I spent the time to get the VAT taken off it would've been cheaper, but only by a few $$$ ...

Posted by
2717 posts

skunklet1771, thank you so much for posting your trip report. I am going on my first solo trip in September. I have been very nervous about Paris. Your hints are very welcome to relieve my anxiety. There have been many pick pocket and near-mugging posts lately. It's been over 50 years since I was there on a multi-country student tour. I have few memories of Paris except the Mona Lisa and Versailles.

Posted by
818 posts

@horsewoofie - yeah, i've read them too, but no real issues, but I put my NY-RBF on and kept my wits about me. Now, of course I took precautions - c/c and extra cash in a bra wallet; phone is leashed into my cross body; additional $$ and the c/c (actually debit) for the day are in a smaller bag also leashed into my cross body. I don't have the latest and greatest bagallini bag with anti theft technology, but you can take an older bag and use key rings, carbiners, and these stainless steel pieces to make any cross body anti theft https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D8SYNHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posted by
35 posts

Skunklet1771, That was a great trip report! I was curious how you tethered your phone to your bag. I have been looking at different options online, but did you buy a case with a hole in it to thread something through?
How was the occupation tour? I have been looking at that.

Posted by
7253 posts

Thank you for sharing your nicely detailed trip report! Paris is wonderful, and I’m glad you had a wonderful trip! And a solo trip! I enjoy traveling with my husband and also really love traveling solo in Europe!

For solo travel, I share my itinerary on the TripIt app with my family. So they know where I’m staying, which train I’m traveling and a rough idea of my activities for the day. I think it gives my husband a bit of a sense of comfort knowing approximately where I’m planning to explore, too.

Which shops are you buying your favorite scarves in Paris? I wear scarves often, and I think Paris is the only city when I’ve been traveling where I didn’t end up buying another one! I just came back from Maui last night and found a stunning tropical one there.

Posted by
9420 posts

I’ve bought many scarves in Paris, at Monoprix, C&A, and random places. I just got a new one from the Louvre last Oct and it’s really beautiful. I find shops that just sell scarves are more expensive than i want to pay.

Posted by
818 posts

Oooh, the Louvre scarves were beautiful, but above my price level - I'm not REALLY a scarf person, so I bought nice earrings there, and the scarves were purchased mostly at the tourist shops! I did not hit Hermes or Louis Vuitton, although when I go back (next spring, maybe), I might, just to look at their scarves!

@Jean - since i have TMobile, it was .25/min to call my husband, which I did once or twice a day but free to text, which I did most of the time. I also posted almost everything on FB, so folks could keep track of my movements as well (well, at least those that cared lol) in case I 'disappeared'. :)

Posted by
2717 posts

Skunklet, thanks for bringing your topic back to the top. It was one of the very helpful bookmarks I lost.

Posted by
7253 posts

Those scarves will convert you eventually to be a scarf person! : ). I travel very light, and a few scarves can change my color palette very quickly for some variety.

Not sure of your T-Mobile plan, but we have it and have been very happy with it, especially when traveling. We have free texting, and I also contact my hubby on free FaceTime if the wifi connection is good at my lodging to enjoy recapping our days. I know some people like to use WhatsApp. I like to stay in cities & also small towns - sometimes only a text is possible.

We don’t post vacation photos on FB until we’re back home, but I posted a few when I was traveling solo and my husband was at our home. Friends liked it so much since I was adding a little commentary to it, and requesting more, that I continued for the three weeks. Wow, that was so helpful afterwards to create my Trip Report! And, it was fun to feel like some friends were traveling virtually with me. ; )

I’m glad you mentioned the Carnavalet museum is open now and that you enjoyed it!

Posted by
13906 posts

Diwali for scarves! No they are not made in France but who can resist an aqua storefront? Several locations in Paris. 😁🥳