Please sign in to post.

Paris March 8-13 2019

My sister and I spent 6 magical days in Paris and it surpassed every expectation. The Paris guidebook was invaluable and I'm still reading it and mentally planning my next trip now that I've returned home.

March was a bit windy but not particularly COLD - weather was in the high 40s/low 50s. There was a little rain but not as much as I expected. Lines to all attractions were quite short EXCEPT for Eiffel Tower (we did buy the Museum Pass). A warm scarf & comfortable walking shoes are a must (we walked 8+ miles a day even though we used Uber, Metro and the bus!).
The Paris Metro app made directions a breeze. Bathrooms are not readily available - plan ahead! Montmarte was my favorite neighborhood (I would stay there next visit), and the Notre Dame Tower Climb was the top highlight for me - which I didn't expect. It was surreal to stand on the top of Notre Dame and see the gargoyles and tower bells up close as well as the amazing views. Of course, the food is another highlight....crepes and fresh bread with jam, great wine and cheese from a grocery was our pre-dinner snack. My favorite dessert of the trip was Tarte Tatin.

Our itinerary:
DAY 1 : Historic Paris Walk from the book- Highlights for me were Notre Dame and the Conciergerie (was once a medieval palace and so much history here!). The Deportation Memorial is worth a stop. Meals at L'Eclair (Rue Cler) and a 6 course Tasting dinner at Verjus ($79 EU pp) were both pretty perfect restaurants for Day 1 intro to the food scene.
DAY 2: Musee d'Orsay (Orsay Tour from book), Orangerie Museum, Tuileries Garden, Seine River boat tour, and Eiffel Tower at night.
DAY 3: The Louvre (Louvre Tour from book), Saint Chappelle, the Archeological Crypt, Notre Dame Tower Climb ( A highlight for me even though 400 steps was a challenge), Rodin Museum. Great dinner at Cafe Constant.
DAY 4: Sacre Couer Basilica & Montmarte walk from book. Le Basilic was our great lunch cafe in Montmarte. Overall, my favorite day as I loved the feeling of walking through Montmarte. Arc de Triomphe visit in the evening before a lovely dinner at Arnaud Nicolas.

DAY 5: Pere Lachaise Cemetery Tour (from the book) & partial Marais walk. Jewish Quarter has great shops and bakeries. Great lunch at L' Aus du Falafel. Champs Elysees walk - which was the only disappointing part of Paris for me!
DAY 6: Napoleon's Tomb & Army Museum. This was quite a surprise and very extensive- would have liked to be able to spend more time here!

Lodging: Hotel de la Motte Picquet - fairly priced, great location (Rue Cler), < 5 min walk to Metro, super friendly and helpful staff!- we got so many tips from them. We had an included breakfast every morning - simple but fine meats/cheeses and pastries/breads.

Posted by
3845 posts

Thanks for the report. I really enjoyed reading it. Hotel de la Motte Picquet was one of the finalists for lodging when I went to Paris a couple of years ago. It actually was my first choice, but my fellow traveler wanted to go with something cheaper. I remember walking by the hotel and thinking that it looked really nice from the outside.

Posted by
6501 posts

Thanks for this report. I can feel your excitement on your first visit. You got a lot done in a short time, but I'm sure you also found time for some idle strolling and people-watching. The solution to not-enough-bathrooms is the cafes -- sit down, order a coffee or glass of wine, take turns using the bathroom, move on, repeat.

I hope you're thinking about your next visit to this beautiful city. There's much more to see and do there.

Posted by
1943 posts

The previous poster is right, when we needed to use the bathrooms we usually stopped off at a cafe and order something small like a hot chocolate or coffee and used the toilets. It was also helpful in keeping us warm after being out in the cold and rain.

Posted by
13934 posts

Thanks for your Trip Report! What a fun time you had! You really saw a lot. Now is the time to write yourself notes on what to see next visit, lol.

Posted by
1307 posts

Such a nice trip report.
(And Paris just keeps getting better, says me after 10 or 12 times!)

Posted by
548 posts

Sounds like you had a lovely trip!

I will say I'm not too surprised to hear that you found the Champs-Elysées to be a bit of a disappointment -- it is a beautiful urban boulevard from an urban design perspective (many North American streets that carry that amount of auto traffic are a lot less pleasant for pedestrians), but I find the actual variety of storefronts and restaurants to be a bit of a letdown.

I suppose, though, like with everything else in travel, it's about all your expectations!

Posted by
681 posts

Sounds like a wonderful trip and I am not surprised by the 8 miles a day of walking...you did ALOT! Glad you enjoyed it!

Posted by
9420 posts

Sounds like your research and planning turned out well, you saw a lot! Wonderful that you enjoyed Sacre Coeur and Montmartre and want to stay there next time. It’s nice to find a neighborhood that’s special to you. When you go again make sure to visit the Luxembourg Gardens, my favorite place in Paris. Thanks for this fun report!

Posted by
703 posts

How lucky you were to have climbed the steps at Notre Dame. That won't be an option for people now for a few years, I'm afraid. Sounds like you had a lovely trip & a great experience in Paris.