Please sign in to post.

Paris and the Heart of France May - June 2022

The lodging was very good an interesting. The hotel staffers were all very helpful and kind.
The restaurants chosen for the group dinners were not as good as other tours except for Mont St Michèle which was outstanding! Loved the fresh muscles and roast duck!! Flaming crepe suzettes were great too!
The Loire Valley is famous for its wines, but we were disappointed that we did not have more exposure to french wine and taste some really great wines.
While we enjoyed all the people on the tour,having a family of 7 (2 adults and 5 young people from 15-21 yrs) denied us all from meeting 5 other people. It was obvious that the children were not interested in being there on many occasions.
Arnaud was delightful, entertaining and very helpful to us in Paris. His knowledge of French history is amazing but he tended to talk too much and seemed tired of touring.
This tour is very busy and feels rushed in Paris. We suggest going to Paris two days before the tour starts and staying two nights after to see all the places in Paris and environs not included on this tour.
MJ and Susan

Posted by
8346 posts

Your statement "denied us from meeting five other people" is a little hard for me to understand. I'm guessing that you did not bond well with these young people. I love having a variety of ages on tours and perhaps it was just that this group didn't mingle?

I'm glad that you enjoyed your tour and were willing to share your pluses and minuses for everyone. When I took this tour several years ago they had a wine tasting event. Do they no longer do that? Some of the people on my tour who were wine aficionados, as it sounds like you are, did arrange for wine tours during their free time. That might be an option for others.

It sounds as if you mostly enjoyed the tour and it was nice of you to come share your experiences.

Posted by
185 posts

Thanks for the trip report and insights! I did not understand your wording over the 15-21 year olds. They are people too! The 18+ year olds are also legally adults. I have always appreciated that RS tours attract a variety of ages. When we took a family tour awhile back, it included an adult daughter in her 30's traveling with her mother, in addition to the families with tweens and teens.

Posted by
14 posts

I brought teens on a Paris tour and my assigned solo buddy was disappointed that I wasn’t more of buddy during the tour because I was more interested in my kids. I wanted to remind her she was a grown woman and could manage her own good self. But I didn’t, because that would have been rude even if true. You’d be surprised how much kids pick up even when they are not paying attention the way an adult would.

Posted by
233 posts

I agree that a group within your group can affect the group dynamics. Our first tour had 7 or 8 single women and there was a lot of intermingling with all of the tour members. In our last city few of the men wanted to go to the Arab baths, so nearly all of the women went together. On our next tour, there were two sets of couples traveling together and they tended to spend their free time together—not a problem, though harder to get to know them. Since then we have had a family of 6 and a few groups traveling together. The group of 5 young people traveling together probably felt uncomfortable with new adults as well as happy to spend vacation time with siblings and cousins.
We are scheduled with our first tour with another couple we know in 2023 and I wonder what change in the usual tour dynamics this will bring. Can’t wait

Posted by
1625 posts

Thank you for your report. Just from reading the itineraries on the tours, they all seem very rushed and busy, which is why we prefer to do independent travel, I think that is just a given on these tours. Did the itinerary indicate that you would be doing wine tasting and that did not happen? As for the other travelers, you did meet 5 people, not sure why you felt denied from meeting "other people", I am sure that there will always be a mix of people on the tour some you mesh with some you don't. I agree you need much more time in Paris, so much to do and see, been twice and still have so much we have not seen.

Posted by
13906 posts

I agree with Patty that groups within groups can change the dynamics. On my Ireland tour there was a group of 11 that really changed things as they were pretty insular. For future reference, I've found more group travel during June and less on my tours in spring and fall. I'm sorry this affected your enjoyment.

You might enjoy the Eastern France tour which travels thru the wine area in that part of France.

Thank you for taking the time to post!

Posted by
187 posts

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Really helpful to know about pacing and events on this itinerary. Your post brings up helpful thoughts on expectations for a group tour. My husband and I go on a tour because we appreciate being driven from town to town, love the guides' help in learning about new places, and appreciate having event tickets and arrangements handled for us. We do not go with the expectation that we will connect or make friends with everyone else on the tour. We always do make some connections, but it's not why we tour. Being realistic about expectations is really wise, whether you do tour or independent travel.

Posted by
4301 posts

I was not aware that groups are discouraged from taking Rick's tours, or maybe it's people not in the usual RS demographic who are not welcome on tours.

Posted by
2468 posts

Cala,
I’m not sure I understand your remark that groups are discouraged from taking Rick Steves tours.

I’ve been on 8 Rick Steves tours. Maybe you are referring to the comment of groups that stick to themselves within the larger group? I have seen 2 couples who mingled very little with others but this didn’t have that big an impact on the group dynamics. A group of 11 people however can affect the dynamics of the larger group if those individuals stick mainly to themselves.

I think this is what you are asking about. People are not discouraged from taking tours. It’s that friendly tour mates add to a pleasant experience for all.

Posted by
6289 posts

mjsusan2, thanks for the trip report. We did this tour in 2019, and really enjoyed it.

We've been on two tours where the dynamics were seriously changed by groups. I remember on a 21 Day Best of Europe tour there was a group of 6 or 8 adults travelling together. They weren't interested in having much to do with the rest of us. At one point, fairly early in the tour, Stan and I walked up to where they were sitting (we were on the river boat part of the tour) and I asked "Hi! May we join you?" One of the men looked at me, said "No," and turned back to his group, who all ignored us. Ouch. There was another family of 4: 2 parents and two 20-ish kids, who were delightful and seemed to enjoy everyone's company.

On another tour there was a group of about 6 or 7 family members and work colleagues who closed ranks and rarely even acknowledged the rest of the tour group. The rest of us still had a great time, but it was a bit jarring.

Posted by
13906 posts

@Cala, I agree with Judy and I'm not sure what you were referring to as RS does not discourage "groups" from traveling together. I don't mind traveling with groups within groups but I'd want them to realize they have signed up for a "group" tour not a private tour and that there will be others around sharing the guide and experiences.

I found my experience with having a large insular group within a group did change how group dynamics develop on a tour. I tour to suit myself and not others but having a big group who all wanted to sit next to each other created a kerfuffle when we were having group meals.

I'll add that out of the 11 RS tours I've done, that was the only one with a large group traveling together.

"I asked "Hi! May we join you?" One of the men looked at me, said "No," Oh my word Jane...that happened to me at breakfast with the group of 11. The tables in the breakfast room were long group tables so when I went in there were some people sitting at a long table so I got coffee and headed to the next open seat, asked if I could sit and was told No. I was shocked. I mean really..it was flipping breakfast! Plus I'll sit with you and Stan any time, any where!!

I wish all guides did the same as my first RS tour guide did. On the first day she encouraged all of us, including couples, to sit with others during meals. I thought that was an awesome way to start!

Posted by
2468 posts

Pam,
Wow! It’s flipping breakfast. Those people have to get along with others in their normal lives at work, school, etc. so they can’t eat with a new person on a tour? Can you say RUDE?

Posted by
13906 posts

@JudyB...I KNOW, right? It was fairly early in the tour and I'd not realized they were so...um...bonded, lol.

Posted by
12 posts

Wow… so very sad to hear of these situations of groups traveling together and ignoring the other travelers. We have done two RS trips and thoroughly enjoyed sitting with others and getting to know them. These tours are really designed for people who want to learn about the world and the people in it.

Posted by
11 posts

MJ and Susan,
Excellent suggestion about arriving early and staying later. I did not, due to my partner's needing to get back to her job. Next time, if possible, we will get to all the places we missed. Our tour guide in France, Rebecca, was wonderful, as was our driver Walter. Yet, this our first RS tour was a real walking jag. Yes, we had been cautioned, yet it reminded me of hikes during my Marine Corps days! A couple of the group dinners, were limitedly wonderful... limitedly, as they happened after full days of walking and everyone looked tired. The dinners themselves, each time, went long. We did excuse ourselves after 2 hours from the last. Overall, wonderful experience, but I will probably design my own trip next time to France, as this was the 5th time I have been there, and my French is rather good - after years of study. Thank you for the tip.