Please sign in to post.

Paris and Heart of France trip report September 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful time in France with Patrick Vidal as our guide and Ludo as our bus driver. Paris parks, museums, hotels and train system all wonderful. Our trip through the Loire Valley on to Brittany and Normandy were historically educational, fun and active. The stay at the Hotel de la Marine Arromanches right on the D Day beach was something to remember! The special side trip for lunch at Ray's farm with all the WWII memorabilia was all too brief but great. it did help that every day was sunny in the 70's to mid 80's Fahrenheit in early September 2014.

Can't wait to take next RS trip!

Dan and Lynn

Posted by
4 posts

Hi,
We are planning on taking this trip early next September. What type of clothing did you and your wife pack for this time of year? Did it rain while on your travels? Any other advice? We have used Rick Steves tours in the past and have never been disappointed.
Thank you,
Nancy

Posted by
4407 posts

I'm happy for you, Dan and Lynn! Sounds like you had a wonderful time...

Posted by
3 posts

Eileen,

We took a roll on suitcase only with a small RS backpack stuck inside. The weather was fabulous with no rain; sunny and mainly mid 70's to mid 80's F each day. We took raincoats but only needed them for the wind at Normandy and in the evening. They said August was very cold and rainy so we lucked out.

Cloths wise; pretty casual dress with nylon collared shirt at dinner; regular nylon Under Armour during day with either cargo pants or hiking slacks. Lynn dressed similarly with casual cloths being the norm.

Take the RS phrase book as it really helps in restaurants.

Posted by
1203 posts

We are thinking of taking the same trip at the beginning of Sept 2015. I did hear that it rained in Paris all this summer but by September it had stopped. I was in Paris Sept 5,6,7, 2014 and the weather was excellent. I have been to Paris when the weather was rainy, still had a great time, but Paris weather has never been my favorite. I am glad you mentioned the rain jacket with a hood for the wind, that is interesting. Never thought of taking a jacket at that time of year. Will have to rethink my travel packing. What hotel did you stay in, in Paris? Did you stay before or after the tour in Paris and did others from the tour do the same? I really want to go on this tour as they go to Monet's house. At that time of year were the gardens blooming and were they beautiful. The big reason for doing this tour is to go to Monet's house and gardens and want to make sure it is worth it if we go at the beginning of September. Were the sites outside of Paris very crowded? Thanks for your response. Ann

Posted by
3 posts

We stayed at Hotel M. Paris was crowded and we enjoyed it. The Parisians and their families certainly use and enjoy their wonderful Park system.

Monet's home is about a 2 hour drive from Paris and was very crowded. It is nice with attractive gardens.

The RS tour encompasses Paris, the Loire Valley, Brittany with Monet's home as an add on via the trip back to Paris.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted by
2120 posts

Ann, I did this tour a few years ago and loved visiting Giverny. We had a beautiful, sunny day in the beginning of September and the gardens were lovely. We were there for about 2 hours and I wish we could have spent more time there. If I were to do it again, I think I'd do Giverny as a day trip on my own before or after the RS tour.