Please sign in to post.

Paris and Alsace (Colmar)

Wow, what a great trip!
First off, we've never been to either before. Paris was a bit intimidating to plan for as it was more of a way in and out of Colmar.
Not much of a big city person as i grew up in NYC so just really wanted to see the sights in Paris. Not too interested in waiting in line to get in. This was more of a recon mission to get the feel for what its all about. We stayed at an Ibis hotel near Gare de l'est as we were taking the train the next morning. hotel room was small, but clean and comfortable (small room in Paris- check!).
Metro was easy to use and figure out. Metro app for Iphone was really helpful!. (Young couple making out on metro in seat next to us- check!) We walked around the old city first checking out the sites, and hit some of the RS walking tour points. then headed over to left bank. went for lunch at Les Papilles. A splurge, but heck while in Paris lets have a food experience. Wow, an unforgettable meal. Will post more on our experience there later. After that we just roamed our way back to the river past shops and cafes all over. stopped at Luxembourg gardens for a look around and to rest our feet. so nice to see these parks so well used by the people!. off to the river a nice stroll down taking in the sites and watching people. walked across to the Louvre and had a look around at the buildings, and architecture, more parks with lots of people! Saw Arc de triumph at a distance and crossed back over the river. worked our way toward Eiffel tower. No tickets, no lines. didn't feel need to go up. it was just so nice being there and seeing it up close, didn't know it was kind of hollow in the middle! from there grabbed an ice cream and headed to the metro where we worked our way back to Gare de l'est where we sat at a cafe and had a beer (1664). After that we said, how about another? Waiter would not acknowledge us no matter what we did. (Rude cafe waiter - check) walked to another cafe around the corner and had another drink and a snack and just watched people go by. Had a good nights sleep and off to the train. Station easy to get around. TGV is fast and very comfortable! Train went right to Colmar with one stop in Strasbourg.

Colmar: We rented an apartment right in the center of the old city through Airbnb. Was a wonderful place. message me if interested in where. plenty of room, clean with a kitchen, shower and use of a washing machine. also a terrace on the roof where we were right between the towers between the cathedral and dominican church. a wonderful place to go outside, but not have to walk around. enjoyed many a bottle of wine and cheese up there! downstairs there was a little bakery Cote Four which had wonderful baguette and the most amazing Almond Croissants! this town was just enchanting. we did RS walking tour which was great start. visited Bartholdi museum and Modified Unterlinden Museum (undergoing renovation, so major things in Dominican church. a must see even though abbreviated. audio tours there made it great. Food in this town was wonderful. our hosts gave us a very good list of places to eat. lots of little shops, good prices on clothing. Monoprix was close by for groceries to pack lunch for day trips out on Route de Vin. Wines! we rented a car and spent 2 days riding the wine route and with small detours to Munster (for some cheese!) and to WWI memorial which was suprisingly great. Favs on route de vin was the small wineries. lovely small towns. ring the bell and they open up for a taste. Learned a lot from passionate growers. most closed 12-2 so parked at picnic table along route for picnic lunch amongst the vineyards! Alsace was enchanting! Paris suprised me. Its quite sexy. I understand why people are drawn to it. Heck with filled itinerary, stroll... enjoy! I think I want to go back too. Soon!

Posted by
1369 posts

Great report. I too was in Paris this past Oct and already making plans for May 2016. Love the city, just walking the city and enjoying the cafe culture. Colmar is on my to do list, either through RS Eastern France Tour or a combination like you with Paris.