Please sign in to post.

Our 1st Paris and NormandyTrip 6-11 Nov 2014

First trip to Europe. Followed much of Rick’s advice via books, audio/radio, video, articles and Tom Griffin’s Thursday night Normandy talk at Rick’s Edmonds, WA travel center. Appreciated the 20% discount on the travel suitcase and backpack we bought there. As Rick says, we tried to be part of the party and not a walking dollar sign.

Paris: Stayed in a 1-room B&B in Neuilly-sur-Seine, a suburb just west of the Paris city traffic ring. Quiet, relaxing and two Metro stops from the ring.

Bought a Metro cartel. Our first visit was 3rd Metro stop at Arc de Triomphe for photos. Then, walked down Champs-Elysees all the way past de Gaulle’s statue to The Louvre. Had a great lunch at Pret a Manger along the way (French twist on a British chain restaurant). Sandwiches, soup, salad, croissant, smoothie and excellent coffee. The Louvre had six people in line ahead of us! Definitely have to go back again to view more. Dinner at Le Sequoia restaurant back in Neuilly-sur-Seine with the neighborhood locals. Learning point: our B&B owner said she hadn’t prepared breakfast cuz we didn’t ask for it ahead of arrival. No problem.

Breakfast at Le Winston restaurant near our Les Sablon Metro C Line stop. For some picnic meals, we shopped at the local Monoprix for great cheeses, bread, desserts and drinks. Next, at the 2nd Metro stop, just inside the traffic ring, transferred to RER C Train Line for 30 min ride south to Versailles Chateau. Entry definitely fastest there if you just go straightaway to self-serve ticket machines using a chip-type credit card. The machines are sort of hidden in a back room to your left as you stand in line to buy tickets from a human. Viewed Eiffel Tower from Trocadero at Rick’s suggestion. The Tower turns a beautiful gold color at late sunset from the spotlights below.

Normandy: Enroute drove thru Honfluer. Stayed at Le Fermes aux Chats B&B in their Maine Coon room on 2nd floor, located just west of Bayeux in Formigny and only 3 km from Omaha Beach. Fantastic! Owners Loic and Joelle are great hosts and at breakfast fed us more than we could eat of homemade breads and jams, eggs cooked to order, cheeses, meats, yogurts, cereals, juices, excellent coffee and teas. We were sad to leave! Dozed off in the evenings warm and toasty by the fireplace in the rocking chair, sofa or chairs. Quiet, secure home with electric gate for free parking. Will definitely go back.

Posted by
1005 posts

Sounds like a great trip. How was the weather in Normandy? Were there a lot of crowds because of Nov. 11th (Armistice Day in France)? Did the D-Day sites live up to your expectations?

Posted by
208 posts

Sounds like you had a great time, but for your first time in Europe, wonder why you only spent 6 days? No way I would go that far for less than a week. Impossible to see and do much in that length of time. Normandy alone is worth 3 days minimum. With airfare so high, I have always felt that two weeks would be my minimum time to be there. I know everyone has time restraints but just wondered why only 6 days for your first trip.

Posted by
106 posts

Thanks for the packed with information report. RS needs to add a tour with more days in Normandy!! Thanks again

Posted by
3 posts

T: The only noticeable crowds were not in Normandy on Armistice Day but at the Versailles Chateau a few days earlier. As some have posted in here, it was wall-to-wall visitors in the more popular rooms such as King Louis XIV's bedroom. Not unsurprising! Probably nearly as crowded when the original occupant was there as well, based on what we learned of his lifestyle. Conversely, we were generally alone in the rooms that displayed the intricately designed desks, the original and restored furniture and jewelry, etc. Weather in Normandy was pleasantly mild. Subzero in Washington State upon our return on 13 Nov!

Posted by
3 posts

Tony: We wanted to stay longer--this was a recon trip for future trips. On this initial trip, I did first did some company-funded teaching in Kaiserslautern, Germany, then we spent 9 days touring mostly France, gathering intel for future visits as we went. Our next trip will likely be courtesy of the nearly free USAF Space A program via BWI to Ramstein AB. I agree with you that a Normandy trip should be at least 3 days, however, we plan on 7 additional days next trip. Although we did spend an afternoon in Ste Mere Eglise and its Airborne Museum, we didn't get to nearby Pointe du Hoc and Mont St-Michel. Also, intend to have a waterfront meal in Honfluer, visit Giverny and more D-Day related sites.