Please sign in to post.

Off the beaten path ruins in Scotland and Ireland.

I will be going to Scotland and Ireland in February to photograph ruins and cemeteries. Any recommendations I should know about? Thanks!

Posted by
1412 posts

also you can visit some standing stones.......some are in very modest set ups.....what I would call a county park in the US.....you wont have to battle any tour buses.....I'm probably remembering someplace we stopped between Dublin and Belfast, but its a been a few years...... and yes, most old cemeteries come with church or "castle" ruins

Google "standing stones Ireland" and you will find lots of good stuff. I'm attaching this website for the variety of monuments that it shows, with MAP links, apparently. its a pretty low tech website, but good info. http://www.stonepages.com/ireland/ireland.html

Posted by
1840 posts

The Scottish islands have plenty of ruins and cemetaries. Islay, the only one I know, has perhaps the best example of a standing celtic cross, the Kildalton. There is a cemetary there and also an intact roofless stone church. There are other crosses, churches and cemetaries on Islay as well.

Posted by
1 posts

Yes, New Slains Castle in the northeast part of Scotland nearby Cruden Bay and Peterhead.