Please sign in to post.

October in Greece & Turkey

Last October, my wife & I traveled to Greece (on our own) and Turkey (with Rick Steve's "best of" tour). Enjoyed both and open to returns to both countries.
Athens: 3 nights at Central Athens Hotel. Very good location, room, breakfast, roof top restaurant and staff - expensive but worth it. Used bus X95 & walked town. Heavy rains often - cleared crowds tho'! Hot & humid otherwise. Athinaikon best restaurant.

Flight to Santorini: 3 nights at Cosa Marina, Fira. Quiet location near bus station. Great room & staff. Island bus tour ok - Akrotiri, viewpoints & Megalochori interesting. Fira crowded & noisy. Oia packed! Shoulder season? Several places said closing in November. Very picturesque but no return - we've seen it. For us, too hot & humid.
Ferry to Paros: 2 nights at Pension Sofia, Parika. Good location, lovely garden & friendly hosts. Wandered the town - quiet, friendly & charming. Plus no crowds.
Ferry to Naxos: 3 nights at Studios Kalgeris on beach. Great location & staff. Again wandered in town, never lacking in interesting sights & activities. Again no crowds. Visited cheese shops for tasty local varieties. Lithos resturant in old town - good food, charming spot. Both islands worth return visits. Short taxi ride to airport for...
Flight to Athens, car rental, drive to Nafplio: 3 nights at Pension Marianna. It doesn't get better than this - breakfast, view, location (serious stairs tho') & staff! Did day trips in area. Ask staff for restaurants - many good ones. A definite return. Drive back to Epidaros and along coast. Wrong highway lane put us into downtown Athens late afternoon. Took longer, had to drive aggressively, wife thought we would die, but Greeks don't want to ding their cars either. Watchout for scooters & m/c! Drove on to...
Loutsa: 1 night at Efi apartments: great apartment for family, rural location hard to find but close to beach, restaurants, etc. Easy drive to airport back entrance for....
Flight to Istanbul: extra night in Azade Hotel before tour. Great hotel choice. Tour, accommodations, sights and especially guide (Taylan) great. End at Kusadasi then...
Ferry to Samos, taxi to Pythagorio: 2 nights at Samos-Belvedere. Picturesque, quiet, friendly - a good wind-down from tour. Quick taxi to airport for early plane to Athens.
X95 bus into Athens: 1 night at Pan Hotel. Good location, small room, ok breakfast, a bargain for area. Bus back to airport and long flight home. A great time had by all.

Posted by
11133 posts

We did a similar itinerary and agree with you about Santorini, won’t return, and Nspflion, would gladly return for an extensive stay.
Haven’t been to Samos yet. Enjoyed your report!

Posted by
446 posts

Thanks for the report. We too loved the RS Turkey tour with Taylan. It's been 10 years since we visited the Greek Islands and I'm sure the crowds have mushroomed. We didn't get to visit Akrotiri because of a roof collapse and I still regret that.

Posted by
681 posts

We did Greece this last May and agree with you about Santorini. Way too crowded but loved Paros, Your trip sounds great. Thanks for the report.