Please sign in to post.

northern lights tours

Would anyone be able to share your experiences trying to view the Northern Lights from Scandinavia? I am in the pre pre planning stage. Viewing the Northern Lights is at the top of my bucket list. I do realize there are no guarantees but would love any info you could share. Thanks and Cheers!!

Posted by
4300 posts

I read that they are currently in a minimum period where you are less likely to see them than when it is a maximum period-you should research this.

Posted by
792 posts

You might get more responses if you post this in one of the other forums (one of the Scandinavian countries or General Europe).

Posted by
16190 posts

I have never seen them in Norway as I have only been there in summer. But I used to live in Fairbanks, Alaska, which is one of the best places on earth to view the aurora (because of cleas skies), and saw it there many times. . Read Bill Bryson's account of trying to see the aurora in Norway --he spent a week in the far north Nd never saw it because it was always cloudy.

There is good information on the Alaska Geophysical Institute website:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/travelers-guide

Personally, if I wanted to see another Aurora, I would go to Fairbanks in March. It is not too cold, and you can enjoy cross-country skiing and maybe dog sledding during the day.

Posted by
37 posts

I agree with Lola. I too lived in Fairbanks, Alaska some years ago and enjoyed seeing them frequently. January through April were my best and most frequent experiences. And as Lola said, March is often a great time and temperatures have risen significantly. Although deep winter is spectacular as long as you're prepared for it, nothing more beautiful. Go and enjoy!