Please sign in to post.

New Orleans Trip Report late Sept 2023

Just had a fabulous - although hot - trip to New Orleans September 27-30. This was my 3rd or 4th time there, went with 2 friends who had never been.

We stayed at the Old No 77 Hotel on Tchoupitoulis, very charming older hotel that was walkable (for us anyway) to most of what we wanted to do. Quiet and away from all the craziness of Bourbon Street. Highly recommend the hotel restaurant, Compere Lapin, which is a James Beard Award winning restaurant from chef Nina Compton.

We did a food tour, currently my favorite thing to do when traveling - you get history, food, and history of food, hard to go wrong Highly recommend Destination Kitchen. Our guide, Susan, accommodated food prefs, gave our group (12 people) some history of the city, its food, the French Quarter. She also answered questions, made recommendations and even checked reservation availability for various dinner spots. Definitely enough food to count as lunch - po'boys, alligator sausage, calas (old school beignets), gumbo, grilled oysters and more. Yum.

We checked out Frenchmen Street for music (just walk down the street and pop into whatever bar sounds good to you), Faubourg Wines for a wine tasting, had dinner at GW Fins, which was excellent. We did walk a few blocks down Bourbon Street in the early evening on our way to GW Fins - that's all you really need to do, to be honest.

We booked a tour of Whitney Plantation through Legendary Tours, and the van picked us up at our hotel. Whitney is focused exclusively on the lives of slaves, and it is somber and well done. The audio tour is included in the tour price and is comprehensive and quite good. Don't skip the small museum that provides the history of the slave trade.

Lucy's Retired Surfer's Bar is a decent lunch place not far from the Old No 77 Hotel. Dinner at a Brennan's establishment is almost a requirement and we went to The Commander's Palace - this is where Paul Prudhomme, Emeril Lagasse and others got their start. If you've been craving the level of service that has someone replacing your water glass when the ice melts, and being surrounded by servers so everyone at the table has their dinners placed at the exact same time - this is your place. Food is solid but not amazing, imo. Note there is a dress code here.

One thing we planned to do was the river jazz cruise - they have a steamboat and a paddlewheeler - but our cruise got cancelled due to mechanical issues. We did walk along the river a bit, and strolled throughout town. It's easy to get around on foot, lots of street entertainment, shops, galleries and, of course, bars and restaurants.

Posted by
597 posts

We did a guided tour of Whitney Plantation. Although I was sickened hearing about the horrible treatment of the slaves, it was the best tour I have ever taken.

Posted by
406 posts

Thanks Rebecca, always good to hear about New Orleans. I’ve never done a food tour there and what a great place for it!

Posted by
421 posts

Really interesting to see a New Orleans trip report. I have only been there for Mardi Gras, so didn't see anything besides partying. Since my father's whole side of the family is from there, and traces itself way back in Louisiana history, I have always wanted to go back and do a real trip there that focuses on the history, culture, architecture, and really see the city, which I did not get to do in the Mardi Gras situation.

Posted by
23269 posts

One of the big highlights of NO is the WWII museum. I think it is a critical visit and about the best museum that I have ever attended.

Posted by
315 posts

In case anyone has a legit interest in Bourbon Street - it is not even close to its past glory days. Locals do not go there, especially for music. Majority of the bars are serving up daiquiris and other drinks from machines, the delicious Cajun food smells are mostly from the side street restaurants. The French Quarter signature iron balconies and greenery are better along other streets. I recommend walking down it in the early evening to get an idea of it, but that's about it...ymmv.

Posted by
14 posts

@TheOrdinaryRebecca, I really must respectfully push back on this a bit. Having been to NOLA more times than I can count, there is worth to be found on Bourbon Street. Is a good chunk of it trashy and over the top? Sure. Do we prefer Royal Street? Also true. But there are gems to be found. Fritzel’s European Jazz Pub at the end of Bourbon is not to be missed, especially if Richard Scott is playing the piano. Google him and marvel at how he doesn’t (yet, I assume) have arthritis in his hands. The oyster bar at Desire - street level of the Royal Sonesta - is fantastic, and one of their bartenders has been there since Earth cooled and can literally make anything you fancy. The Red Fish Grill on Bourbon, closer to Canal Street, is also great, especially at the bar.

Posted by
315 posts

@Bluegrass Dowager Fritzel's, yes, absolutely. And you can definitely cherry-pick places on Bourbon that are OK and even great - we had lunch at Mambo's, it was quite good, and they have a rooftop bar that is highly recommended. My post was more in response to a post, now removed, from a probable scammer that was touting the atmosphere of Bourbon Street. Eh. Overall, there are better places to get the flavor of NOLA...IMO...and ymmv...