Please sign in to post.

Narrowing down an itinerary for Europe 2015

Preface - Have been to Europe twice (last time in 2012), we are big RS fans, and have been to such RS favs as: Rome, Cinque Terre, Paris, Gimmelwald, Fussen. We travel light with one bag each, and use a rail pass of some sort. My family is starting to plan for our trip to Europe next year. We are traveling with a couple other families. The adults are all around 50 and the kids are all high school / college age. We will also be traveling in mid July because of schedules we must work around.

Our two week itinerary starts in Rome (3-4 days), Venice (2 days), Salzburg (2-3 days). Looking for advice for the last half of the trip; should we head towards Munich and Germany with the intent of flying home out of Frankfurt, or travel to Prauge and fly home from there? Home is near the DFW airport. Most have been to Munich ( and loved it), but none have been to Prague. Also considering a day trip to Hallstatt from Salzburg, and / or add a day in Venice to day trip to Slovenia (realistic?) If we ended in Germany, would like to try Rothenburg, but the DB Bahn site indicates it is a long train trip to get from there to Frankfurt to fly out.

We are also open to doing trip in reverse and therefore ending in Rome if there is any kind of travel or cost benefit to be gained. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted by
162 posts

I would strongly suggest including Prague in your itinerary. Lots to see (never got bombed or sacked, so many very old buildings are intact). Lots to do (a beer-drinkers paradise, even more so than Germany!), and pricewise its a bit cheaper than western Europe. Its just a shame you're going during the height of tourist season. Oh well, happy travels whatever you choose!

Posted by
987 posts

Does 2 days in Venice mean 1 night or 2? I would definitely stay in Venice at least two nights, but not to day trip to Slovenia. Other than that, you really have to look at what everyone is interested in. Since no one has been to Prague and most have been to Munich, I would probably choose Prague. Having been to both, I would and have gone back to Munich, but not Prague. Prague is a beautiful city with much to see including older and more recent history, but it is very crowded at the places that are nice to see! When I was there it seemed that there were a LOT of college aged people there, so your kids might enjoy Prague.

Posted by
58 posts

The itinerary you have lined up thus far sounds good. Although, as someone else mentioned, I would recommend spending at least two nights in Venice if possible. Also, adding a day trip to Slovenia is probably too ambitious for this particular trip.

Regarding your choice between Munich and Prague, while it is a matter of personal preference, I would suggest going to Prague--especially considering no one from your group has been there yet. It's a remarkably enchanting city with much to offer. You can read more about Prague at our website here: http://www.ricksteves.com/europe/czech-republic/prague.

If you have time, definitely add a day trip to Hallstatt from Salzburg.

Regarding the order of your itinerary, you might want to check different flight options to see if you find cheaper flights flying into Rome and home from Prague or vice versa. Other than possible differences in flight fares, there isn't any real advantage to starting or ending your trip in Rome/Prague, that I can think of.

Posted by
2393 posts

I have to 2nd the two nights in Venice - we had planned one night and ended up staying two. Also, as much as I LOVE Germany, go to Prague this trip - save Germany for a time when you have more time - there is so much to see!

One tip for Venice - research & plan your restaurant choices before you go - there seems to be an abundance of poor to mediocre ones there. :(

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks everyone! Looks like we are going to Prague! (May even jump off the train at Pilsen for a quick look and taste test).

We are going to try to pull the trip into June, Just have one more schedule conflict to resolve.

We are planning on 2 nights in Venice and in the process of figuring out what to do while we are there.

BTW, we are new to Posting on the RS site. Would it be bad form to post our trip report from 2012? is that current enough to be value added?

Thanks again for the advice,

Scott

Posted by
11294 posts

"Would it be bad form to post our trip report from 2012? is that current enough to be value added?"

As long as you title it "2012 trip to Berlin, Paris, London" or something similar, I don't see how anyone can object.

Posted by
1 posts

We are planning a similar trip for June 2015. Was wondering what travel plans you had made from Venice to Salzburg? I can't seem to figure out the best way to go or what train to use. Any info would be so greatly appreciated. (We are starting in Naples - Rome - maybe Venice - Salzburg - Munich.) Thanks!

Posted by
4132 posts

Large groups are rarely nimble, so I would pad things a little if i were you.

Posted by
7 posts

Mo,

Haven't got that far yet, but know a train ride will be a 7 to 8 hour commitment. Depending on the type of pass will determine if we go via Innsbruck or via Villach. We always start our search for train schedules with the site RS suggests:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Help with which rail pass go here:

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains

Adam,

Agree. Agree. Agree. Have told everyone they are on their own, except when we will tour a major site as a small group. (We'll see if this holds true.)

Scott

Posted by
3 posts

We just did a trip with my hubby and two teenage boys. We did London, Paris, Rome and Venice spending our last 4 days in Venice. Agree with the others that more days in Venice is recommended. My boys loved the Doje's palace, Murano and we even went to the beach in Lido for a day in addition to the Guggenheim. We rented a great apartment called Tre Archi from Trip Advisor in the Carneraggio district that was perfect in every way. I think your family will also really enjoy Rome and Salzburg. I'd also consider Vienna its amazing.

Posted by
252 posts

Go to Prague! If at all possible, try to be there during week days. It gets packed during the Summer...and weekdays can be slightly better.