Please sign in to post.

Napoli

Three night stay in Napoli at BB Centro on Toledo just steps away from metro stop. Is Napoli "gritty" and "unsafe"? It is a large southern Italian City with a unique history it can call it's own. The location is more than adequate to get to Pompeii and the Archeological Museum. A day trip from Rome would not give adequate time for both of these sites. Walking near the pier there is an activity center. Teen age kids doing a quick run with coaches trying to get more out of this mixed crowd. Tennis courts were full. The pool was a strange site, the swimmers all had snorkels on. The small park had amusement rides for small children. Yes, be aggressive when crossing streets, cars, bus and scooters have no intention of hitting you. Scooter drivers do increase in the evening, I swear the same driver came round and round. Toledo has a pedestrian area so the scooter take certain side streets. It is crazy! What a dream to walk down a local street with all the different vendors and wares being deliver to the uppers floors by rope and bucket. Garbage on Toledo was organized neatly into bags and picked up without a glitch. The tennis shoe shop sure had a lot of cardboard from daily merchandise being put on the shelves. Food was good to excellent. Service was even better. To end your trip go up/down funiculars to Sant'Elmo Castle, 1/2 price after 1630 to view this "gritty" city, islands and the bay. It is one heck of a view!

Posted by
11613 posts

So happy you enjoyed one of my favorite cities!

Posted by
630 posts

Thank you for your report. We will be in Naples next year for 3 nights. We plan on using it as our base to visit Pompeii, Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius, and the Archaeological Museum. Do you recommend any other places to visit other than Sant'Elmo Castle?

Posted by
11613 posts

Pilgrim, there are several things to see, including San Martino near Sant'Elmo, Capodimonte Museum, an underground tour, just for starters.

Posted by
630 posts

Thanks, Zoe! I’ve been thinking about this trip for three years now, and I finally booked the tickets this weekend! I have Rick’s guidebook, so I’ll start reading it again. I’m excited!