Please sign in to post.

My Way Italy Tour

Well folks, simply put, it was the most amazing trip of my life! From start to finish - Venice to Rome everything was beautiful, charming, and exactly what I had pictured Italy to be. Did it rain? Sure. Did I have a couple lumpy beds? Of course. But the locations are unbeatable, the scenery beyond gorgeous, the people of Italy as friendly as their reputation, and the wine marvelous (already having withdrawals). But what I really want to say is Thank You to my fellow tour members. I was the only person on the bus without a companion - but I was asked to dinner, lunch, site seeing, and a great wine party in Assisi, by my fellow bus buddies. Never once did I feel alone or like an outsider. We all shared stories at breakfast, went our separate way for the day, would bump into each other sometimes in the day and just chat. One sweet couple joined me for a Pompeii tour via express train and it was great to experience that with someone else. So if you are hesitating about doing this alone, have no worries. I am sure you will find your fellow travelers to be warm and inviting people. Having trouble adjusting to reality - miss the church bells in the different towns, miss hearing the different languages as your roam about town. Adored Venice and Assisi - loved hiking in Lake Como and Cinque Terre. Loved the Uffizi in Florence, but found the city too crowded for my taste (we were there on a weekend) Am working on photos, so if any of my travel buddies would private message me, I will tell you how to get copies. Grazie to everyone!

Posted by
311 posts

You sound exactly they way we felt on our My Way tour! Although we weren't by ourselves I just couldn't get over how we bonded with the other travelers. Everyone was so nice. We aren't super out going and on another nameless tour I kept telling my husband that I felt like I was in Middle School again! Didn't anyone want to sit with us ?! =] We did My Way figuring we wouldn't have to worry about who was on the tour. It turned out that we just had a ball with others,all for one, one for all! I think it must be the mind set that a Rick Steves Tour sets. Like thinking people join up!! I am also having trouble facing "reality" and I'm retired! so don't have to face 7th graders anymore. I need another tour fix soon!!

Posted by
13934 posts

I love your Trip Report! Altho I have not done a My Way, I feel the same way about the regular guided tours. There is always plenty of company if you want it. I do think that the people on the RS tours kind of self-select themselves and are more often than not interesting and eager to learn.

Like both of you, I am having trouble adjusting to reality! Altho I love N. Idaho, really I would rather be sitting in a cafe in Paris or walking thru a museum in Italy or a cathedral in England!

Chriss, I had to laugh at the middle school comment! I'll sit with you if you'll sit with me, lol!

Posted by
311 posts

Well, I taught 7th grade for 25 years so saw that routine first hand!! I am just SOO glad nothing is wrong with me as far as wishing I too could be back sitting in Lauterburnnen or the Cinque Terre! Misery loves Company!! =P p.s. I'll sit with you!!

Posted by
2448 posts

Great report! You have the best attitude - I'm sure your bus buddies were delighted that you were there.

Posted by
151 posts

I believe my bus buddies enjoyed my southern accent and stories of Southwest Virginia. I'm trying not to look at any more tours until I have finished processing my photos of this one. (But it is hard, oh so hard) It was great that all I had to do each day was not get lost, explore all nooks & crannies, and take photographs - that is a life I could get used to (if I win the lotto)

Posted by
171 posts

What a lovely review of your My Way tour. Please do not hesitate to take a Rick Steves guided tour if you liked the My Way tour. You just described our experiences after 3 guided tours. We have enjoyed all the countries we have visited but most of all it's the great people who make it enjoyable too! Many of our friends that we use to travel with are hesitant of tours. So we started traveling with RS and we are having more fun and better experiences.