Please sign in to post.

My Way Alpine Europe

Just three weeks back from one of the best vacations ever - Flew into Munich for 3 days prior to the tour. Loved Munich much more than I had anticipated.. Of course, the relaxed attitude about beer was a big factor (I live in the Bible belt) When I asked a vendor if I could take my drink to the hotel, he looked surprised, laughed, and said "Of course you can, you are in Munich"!! On a serious note, I wanted to pay my respects at Dachau, so I went with Radius Tours and our guide did a great job; what a moving experience. After 3 days in Munich, I took the train and went to Salzburg for another 3 days on my own before meeting our group. Found Salzburg easy to navigate, loved the Eagles Nest and Sound of Music Tour with Panorama Tours - great company to deal with. Had a wonderful time with my new friends and "Bus Buddies" - absolutely loved our tour manager, Mary Carlson - she is just WOW impressive. Had a wonderful time with my new friends hiking in the Dolomites, which I think it may be more beautiful than Switzerland. We also hiked in Murren, and Gimmelwald. Most of the women on the tour were close to my age (58) That was a great surprise as I just knew I would be the "old lady" on the bus with a bunch of younger women in spandex - they laughed when I told them that! Loved Lauterbrunnen Valley In Switzerland, but I found Gimmelwald a little disappointing with pavement and locals driving around, and it was the only rainy day on our trip, so there weren't many people stirring about. May have to give it another try one day! Chamonix, France was marvelous - took the train to the ice cave and did the 500 steps each way! My legs hurt for two weeks! NOT KIDDING! Anyway, it was a marvelous trip and I'm already thinking about the next one - maybe Scotland or Poland... Keep on Traveling!

Posted by
71 posts

I would love to do this tour also. Thanks for posting Sarah. Funny I am 58 also but found myself to be one of the younger ones on our recent 21 day Best of Europe Tour. Everyone kept up pretty well though and it was such a marvelous trip. Switzerland was my favorite wow moment of the trip and we stayed in Wengen above the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Unbelievably beautiful area!

Posted by
19 posts

We are taking this tour next May - super excited! Thanks for another positive review!

Posted by
3845 posts

I enjoyed reading your report. I'm glad you had such a good time.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks for your report. We're going on this tour next July and I'm wondering about packing. What are your recommendations for hiking? Tennis shoes or light hiking boots? Trekking poles? Did you have any issues with motion sickness on the bus or altitude sickness on the hikes? I'd appreciate and value your input.

Posted by
8374 posts

Nancy, I bring trekking poles with me on any tour where I expect to do hiking. I use light weight collapsable poles (they break apart into 3 pieces) that easily fit in my suitcase. Only downside is that you do need to check your bag when bringing trekking poles.
The alternative is to hike without or to find some around the hotel that you can use. Sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Posted by
3207 posts

It sounds like you had a great time. I am glad to hear that on a MyWay Tour there were others with whom to hike. I'm never sure if on this type of RS tour everyone doesn't go their own ways. I enjoy going my own way, but I do not like hiking alone. So, thanks, good to know.

Posted by
151 posts

Nancy, I rented poles in Lauterbrunnen Valley for $10 and wish I had rented them in the Dolomites. There were a couple trails I did not feel comfortable going on since I did not have poles. For shoes, I just wore a waterproof, lightweight, low cut Merrell. This was my second tour as a single and have never lacked company; have found everyone very outgoing and friendly. Have also never had a problem with motion sickness, the bus is a wonderful experience as far as transportation goes.

Posted by
6 posts

Hi,
Sounds like you had a wonderful time, great report. When you visited Eagles Nest did the tour company offer a visit to the Bavarian Salt Mines? My visit there was one of my WOW moments.

CMB

Posted by
151 posts

CMB - Panorama Tours does have a salt mine tour at Berchtesgaden - our bus dropped off a couple people on the way back from Eagles Nest. I just didn't want to do two tours on the same day and had other plans for the afternoon. Happy Travels!

Posted by
22 posts

Going June 1st. Very excited, thanks for great review.