Please sign in to post.

Munich in February

I just wanted to post a few tips/issues during our short stay in Munich. We flew non stop from the US into Munich arriving around 7:30 am. Since we felt fairly rested we decided to head directly to Dachau Memorial instead of to our hotel. We purchased a day pass for M-5 area, total for both of us was around 27 Euros and it covered everywhere we went that day. We took the S1 train to Oberschleißheim, then bus x201 to Dachau train station. Our train arrived just as a x201 bus was leaving, there was another in 20 minutes. We used the few minutes to go into the grocery store on the corner and purchase a few snacks. At Dachau train station I had expected to find many lockers, as I had used this for reference... https://www.bahnhof.de/en/dachau-bahnhof/locker. This site is incorrect!!! There is about 6 lockers, some of which we couldn't open (maybe being used?), a few appeared broken and there was no information on using them. We went to the Bahn ticket desk in the station and a lovely lady offered to keep our bags behind the desk while we were gone. I was stunned, so nice. So we went to the memorial site, we both had bigger backpacks and had no problem taking them into the site, although there were a few lockers there for smaller items. The 726 bus drops off right in the front and runs frequently. After retrieving our suitcases, we took the S2 train to the Marienplatz stop. We stayed at the Cortiina Hotel and were pleasantly surprised for the price. Wonderful greeting from staff, room was a little dated, but large and clean. The breakfast there was fantastic, so many choices and it opens at 6:30 am. Maybe 5 minutes walk from Marienplatz and Viktualienmarkt.

That evening we had dinner around the corner at Schneider Bräuhaus, we had a reservation. When we arrived, we were sent upstairs and found our table without a problem. Food and service were great, it was boisterous and loud, but fun.

The next morning we headed to Fussen to visit Neuschwanstein castle, we bought a Bayern ticket for the day. Unfortunately the direct train at 9:41 was canceled as we were standing on the platform, so we took the next train and had to change in Buchloe, it was very crowded, so glad we had opted to get a 1st class ticket. Since we arrived in Fussen later than we had planned we opted for a taxi instead of the bus to get to the bottom of the hill, we didn't want to chance missing our timed reservation. It was quick and only 12 Euros. The walk up the hill wasn't bad even though it was snowing a little. Fussen was a quaint little town, we did go into the St Mang church and the grounds of the castle, had a lovely coffee and piece of cake in the afternoon. We also had an early dinner at Madame Plüsch, highly recommend, email for a reservation. High quality food and excellent service, very quiet and small. No issues on the way way back to Munich by train.

We left on a 7:30 am train the next day for Innsbruck, so the 6:30 breakfast start was great.

Posted by
3847 posts

Thanks for sharing the logistics of your experience. What were your impressions of Dachau and Neuschwanstein?

Posted by
62 posts

Dachau was emotionally taxing. We did the audio tour option, even though an English tour was beginning in about 30 minutes when we arrived. We were told the tour was about 2 1/2 hours. We decided we wanted to go out our own pace. There's a lot of walking, standing and reading, we prepared for weather also.

Glad we went to Neuschwanstein, the tour was sort of blah, not more than 30 minutes. I don't think we would ever go back, but worth the day trip. We liked Fussen, cute little town, easily explored in a few hours.