Please sign in to post.

May 5 2018 - Amazing cruise in croatian islands

For those of you who are planning to have a wonderful experience for your next holidays, I highly suggest you try a boat trip !
I planned the trip in Croatia from Split with Filovent for a whole week in May (less crowded), I will let you have a quick overview of our journey :)

Day 1 : We join the Baotic marina in Trogir where all the boats for charter are waiting, we discover the Dufour 360 GL, a beautiful sailing boat that we are going to use for our cruise (we are 7 on-board).

Day 2 : On day 2 we left Trogir and spent the day sailing, we first started with the engine and then benefit from the rising winds. At the end of the day we stopped on a wild island to spend the night, we had quite a hard time for the moorings and we had to leave the place early at 5 as the boat was dangerously moving toward the coast.

Day 3 : After a short night of sleep we headed to Vis Island, on the way we stopped in order to try the spearfishing gun, unfortunately we did not catch anything. By the end of the day, we reached Komiza, a beautiful town on the Vis island and met with local people after dinner.

Day 4 : We left Vis and spent the day sailing and fishing, unfortunately the Adriatic sea is not full of fish and we did not catch anything big.

Day 5 : On day 5 we arrived at Hvar, a splendid city with a fortress on top of the hill, we step foot on land to visit the city and spend the night there trying various nice bars.

Day 6 : Long hiking session on the afternoon on a desert island before arriving to Brac island where we stayed for the night. Again a very romantic scenery and not too crowded (as we were in May).

Day 7 : We went back to the Trogir Marina with a quick stop at Rogac, we hand back the boat and prepare for our flight back to France after a last night spent on the boat. Wonderful memories :)

Posted by
1166 posts

Wonderful ! We did a 3 day yacht in Australia and now this has been a dream to cruise for a week.

Can you give a bit more information ? Did you have a skipper or cook ?

Posted by
3 posts

I know that you can take a crew on board but we did not have neither a skipper nor a cook. One of my crew members actually had an impressive sailing experience which allowed him to steer the boat during our cruise. I think the experience is different on a sail boat compared to a yacht but both are very appealing !

Posted by
1321 posts

katakuri - we are planning a trip May 2019. I have toms of questions but who did you rent your boat through and was it a sailboat or catamaran?

Posted by
3049 posts

Wow, that sounds like a dream! We self-drove the Canal du Midi but that's a little different from a real sailboat! I wish I knew someone who could captain such a boat. Something to think about in the future! Thanks for sharing!

Posted by
3 posts

@Donna Where do you plan to go ? We sailed on a Dufour Grand Large which is a sailboat (monohull)

Posted by
1321 posts

@katakuri - we haven't really planned too much but I believe Vis is on the list and I believe it was recommended to start in Split. We are looking for a catamaran - two no votes for a sailboat. And we will hire a captain.