Please sign in to post.

Mainland Greece

I would like to tell you my travel experience in Greece during previous Summer. Having visited many greek islands before my marriage and having now created a lovely family with two children, i had to search for a place with sea, green environment and family friendly. We decided to visit Mainland Greece this time.
Greek islands are beautiful, but not the best solution for family holidays.
First of all they are very crowded and noisy. Then, most times sea is a long drive from your hotel which means you need a car or walk a lot which is very difficult with 2 children next to you! Furthermore, family holidays on islands are quite expensive. I would like a place with the beach exactly opposite my balcony, family friendly and low cost!
After a search on web we decided to visit Velika, a coastal village of eastern Central Greece, falling in the Regional Unity Larisa. A place not yet know by tourists, with a 14 km coastline with crystal-clear Aegean water. The region has many beach bars and traditional taverns. We arrived there from Thessaloniki airport, about 1.30 hour car drive (we rent a car). People there are very friendly and hospitable. Our kids made friends and played with them all day. We rent an apartment on the main beach road, with amazing sea view, so in 1 minute we were on the beach! Kids loved this!
I think those holidays were one of the most family relaxing! Moreover low budget! For a family apartment with sea view we spent only 40 euro per night!
I love discovering new vacation places not touristic and fashion line ones and Velika definitely exceeded my expectations!
Travel tip! Visit Meteora, a village with its famous monasteries on the top of the rock towers.

Posted by
507 posts

xandra_telou,

Thank you for your report. I will check the area out for a future vacation for my family. It sounds like a wonderful place that will not remain a secret for very long.