Please sign in to post.

London, Sept. 2012

Hey everyone, I love reading about your trips so decided I should add one of my own experiences to the mix. We (four adults) visited London for the first time this Sept. spending a little over a week. We stayed in a rental flat we booked on-line in the Notting Hill area. It was our first time renting a flat and it was a great experience! The flat was 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom and by splitting the cost was much less than a hotel room would have been for each couple – we will be doing this more often in the future. After spending the previous two weeks in Ireland, we were well prepared for rain, but unbelievably, we only had a few s the entire time we were there! Fabulous weather luck! We took two day trips on our own, Windsor and Bath.
Some of our favorite places in no particular order: The British Museum - just couldn't get over all that stuff is 'the real thing' and not replicas – it was amazing and awe-inspiring. Assyrian, Elgin Marbles, Egyptian, the Rosetta Stone, on and on it goes, half a day was not even close to enough time. Windsor Castle – this was a wow for us. That it is over 900 years old but still so beautiful and functional today. Loved St. George's Chapel, the Garter Throne Room, well just all of it! Shakespeare's Globe Theater – saw The Taming of the Shrew and laughed and absolutely had the best time! St. Paul's Cathedral – just wow! We also loved Westminster Abbey also but for some reason St. Paul's resonated a bit more, not sure why. Tower of London - I find it hard to believe Rick Steves says only 2 – 3 hours here? We allotted half a day and did not see it all, so much there – the crown jewels, King Henry VIII's ACTUAL armor and so much more! British Library – for literature and history lovers – fabulous!

Posted by
222 posts

Bath was beautiful and the Abbey was our favorite followed by the Roman Baths. We took an extremely lame and awful boat tour – there apparently are two boat tour companies and we picked the wrong one. Nothing to see much and boring commentary. Tip: On both train trips out of London, we asked for the 'four adults traveling together' discount tickets and only paid for two fares, half price!
Although enjoyable, not as top tier (to us): Buckingham Palace – even though we had a timed entry ticket, it was so horribly crowded we could hardly move, crying children abounded and after 10+ minutes waiting to see the diamonds, just gave that up. If the entries are timed, why are they not limited to fewer people so you can see and enjoy the place? The National Gallery was great and we did enjoy it but have loved others more (Orsay, Uffizi, Louve). Phantom at Her Majesty's Theater – was great show but seats are very cramped and uncomfortable. Harrod's was fun to see and we especially enjoyed the food and drink areas but it was so expensive, we didn't linger there too long. Hop on Hop off Bus Tour was fun as we did it in the evening after a long walking day.

Posted by
222 posts

Overall, we loved London, just walking all over the beautiful city and enjoying the architecture, the parks, and of course, the Pimm's Cup! One thing we weren't quite prepared for was the time it took to get from one place to another, even taking the tube – had to adjust the itinerary a few times due to this. Luckily we had some built in time to do this. Two restaurants really stood out from the crowd - Rick's recommended Ebury Wine Bar and Restaurant (fab food and service) and our favorite, Malabar, an Indian Restaurant in Notting Hill. I had never eaten Indian food and after this place, I am a convert for life - hope I can find something near that good in here in Portland – wow! I definitely want to return to Great Britain and explore more of the city and the country as well – next time! Sorry for the length here, just so much to tell!

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Jaye - I liked your trip report. I love Gothic cathedrals but visiting St. Paul's was more meaningful to me too, than seeing Westminster. I think it was because St. Paul's became so symbolic of the British war effort during World War II.

Posted by
222 posts

Thanks for your responses, Ralph and Sarah! Ralph, we stayed at the "Gorgeous Notting Hill Flat" listed on airbnb.com. If you would like the listing number I can find it for you. What is the name of the other Indian restaurant you mentioned? Will put it on the list for next time we go to London. Happy travels!
P.S. Sorry for the missing letters and mis-spellings, I tried to edit and fix but the computer wouldn't cooperate on that. :0)

Posted by
731 posts

Thanks for posting Jaye - really enjoyed your report.

Posted by
8141 posts

Glad you found airbnb.com. They're really going to be a travel force in the future. You made a good pick @ Nottinghill, as it's a great area and easy to get to on The Tube. We were in London in April, and there's just so much to see. It's one of those places you've just go to go back to. Looks like you took proper sites in, however.

Posted by
222 posts

Thanks Dawn and David! Yes, we really enjoyed the Notting Hill area. I so agree, David, we most definitely want to go back - couldn't even touch on all there is to see and we were there for 8 full days. I really want to see much more of the countryside as well - something to look forward to for future travels! Cheers!

Posted by
8664 posts

London is my favorite European city and I love reading posts from first time visitors who fell in love with it. Also enjoyed reading another positive review of airbnb. Absolutely the best accommodation website going! Lastly, so great to hear you went to The Globe. By far one of the best experiences in London. Nice to know you'll return. I've been going back for 30 years and never grow tired of it.

Posted by
222 posts

OK, where's the 'like' button when you need it?! Thanks Claudia, can't wait to go back! :0)

Posted by
713 posts

Jaye, thanks for this report. London is also my favorite city. I've been there several times and have never gotten tired of it, or crossed off everything on my list to see and do. I'm so happy to read about others who have enjoyed London. Also, looks like I need to look into airbnb for future trips.