Please sign in to post.

London's East End

Thanks to Rick Steve's "London" for the East End walking tour. My daughter and I had both seen the more touristy sections of the city and wanted a different experience. Definitely go on a Sunday when the famous Columbia Road Flower Market is open. We especially enjoyed the international food hall near Truman Brewery; we ate Ethiopian food but could have had Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Indonesian or Brazilian dishes as well. The flower market was alive with vendors calling to customers, customers buying, and others just enjoying the beautiful weather and a coffee (there are lots of places to buy coffee and something sweet to go with it...) The market is a bit of a walk from Liverpool Station, but follow Rick's directions and you'll be OK.

Posted by
8649 posts

East London has always been fascinating. Far more gentrified than I first saw in 1972. On my recent July trip I throughly enjoyed seeing the wall murals in and around Shoreditch. Had a great coffee at the newly opened OAT coffee.

I encourage anyone traveling to London to explore Brick Lane, Spitalfields Market, Truman Market, and the wall murals in Shoreditch.

When I’m in London in November Spitalfields is always must stop. I get Christmas Cards and ornaments. Decades ago my friends (who I’ve known since age 5 ) agreed no gifts, ornaments only.

Once a grungy neighborhood its now hip.

Fun to experience.

Posted by
4 posts

Envy your being able to go to London often! Maybe "having" to purchase a Christmas ornament in the East End can be an excuse to return.

Posted by
8649 posts

Been going to London since Nixon was President.

Lots of friends to visit.

London is always changing yet always the same. Never disappoints.

Museum gift shops are also where I buy my Christmas cards.

Love the month of November. The Lord Mayor’s parade is always enjoyable. The lighting of Christmas lights on Oxford and Regents Streets, the installation of the Trafalgar Square Christmas Tree, the ice skating rinks and the pantos.

Weather is usually blue skies, rarely rain.

Was in London this July. Wore shorts. Saw the masterful Mark Rylance on stage in Jerusalem, saw Jack Absolute Flies Again at the National Theatre, enjoyed dinners with friends ( Dishoom, Dragon Inn, Joy King Lau, Angel and The Crown, Kurk Grill Bar, The Mitre.)

Meandered about the Shoreditch neighborhood looking at all the street art, wandered about the National Gallery, strolled along the Thames River Path, visited the Syon House gardens, AND saw the Wimbledon Womens Final (a bucket list event).

November is a great month to visit my favorite city on the planet.