Please sign in to post.

London Observations June 2023

London June 2023. This is my third trip to London over a ten year time interval.

-National Gallery, wonderful of course but be there when it opens, it was extremely crowded on the Sunday that I visited.

-The Banqueting House. It looks on the website as if it is only open a couple of days a month with reservations.

-Crypt of St. Martins in the Field. Interesting lunch spot next to the National Gallery. Good food in a unique setting at a reasonable price.

-Sir John Soane Museum. Large quantities of objects crammed in a claustrophobic museum setting. Overall, it’s not too big and doesn’t take long to see. If you are in the area have a look, but I wouldn’t make a special trip to get to this museum.

-Tate Britian Museum. This was my first visit to this museum. Well worth the time. A great building and a wonderful collection.

-Greenwich. I was here on a busy Sunday. I first visited the Cutty Sark, well worth your time and money. After, I strolled around the wonderful buildings in Greenwich visiting Queen’s House and the museum in the visitor’s center. The Chapel of St. Peter and Paul was closed for a church service. After lunch I dove into the busy Greenwich Market for some shopping.

-Royal Botanical Gardens of Kew. A wonderful experience for garden lovers. The little village of Kew located right next to the tube stop is quite picturesque.

-On this trip I again stayed in the Paddington Station area as this is where the Heathrow Express arrives/leaves from. The brand new Elizabeth Line also stops at Paddington, and is almost as fast (I timed it at 25 minutes) and much cheaper than the Heathrow Express. I recommend using this train to get to London from Heathrow. Check out various websites for other Elizabeth Line stops in London.

-If you do stay in the Paddington area be sure to stroll through the Little Venice area just north of the station.

-Hotels are expensive. I paid $200/ night for a tiny single room in an average quality hotel with breakfast. The room was so small that I had to leave my suitcase on the floor and step over it. There was no other place to put it.

Posted by
215 posts

-Crypt of St. Martins in the Field. Interesting lunch spot next to the National Gallery. Good food in a unique setting at a reasonable price.

I agree! We were in London earlier this week. Had dinner in The Crypt before a concert we attended at St Martins. Good food, and a bit of a respite from the crowds in Trafalgar Square. I think they’re open for dinner on weekends, lunch only the rest of the week.

We also used the Elizabeth Line and found it to be new, clean, and it had nice A/C. Never rode the Heathrow Express, so can’t compare.

I’ll also add that we found London to be pretty crowded, especially in Westminster Abbey and at Borough Market. Definitely good to get an early start.

Posted by
6323 posts

Crypt of St. Martins in the Field

I love that place! I found it on my first trip to England back in 1996 and I'm so glad it's still going strong. I think I ate there 3 or 4 times during my 7 night stay in London. :) It's got everything - wonderful atmosphere (where else can you look at tombs on the floor while you're eating?); good food and reasonable prices. Good location, too!

Posted by
139 posts

A note: the area around Kew Gardens station isn't the original town/village of Kew, which is at the other end of the Gardens (the former main entrance which opens onto Kew Green). The shops around Kew Gardens station just grew up to serve commuters and tourists.