Please sign in to post.

Lisbon in 4 days

My wife and I took the window of opportunity to break out of the pandemic travel blues for a 4 night excursion to Lisbon. I scoured the Travel Forum for all the current and past posts and returning the favor. First, the high level observations:
- 72 hr covid test window for entry can be nerve wracking but you will get through it (we went to CVS).
- We used Verifly with American Airlines - uploaded all our intel and that was it. Passports is all airlines and Portugal entry looked at. Returning the States, you need test the day before. Lots of places in the city to do this but plan accordingly. It was more self created stress but worked out.
- People are traveling, our plane was full. So were the sights and everybody was so happy to be traveling again (despite the pandemic and the war in the Ukraine).
- The Portuguese people are very friendly and welcoming and while Portuguese is a tough language to pick up, most everyone spoke English and those that didn't, we had fun pantomime moments.
- Bring sneakers! No heels...its a hilly town and those sidewalks are gorgeous but flat soles with grip.
- If you love rooftops bars, you have found a nirvana.
- Pasteis de Nata is all that - the breakfast (anytime) pastry is so good you will try every place that sells them. My wife loved Manteigaria (shops around town), I loved Pasteis de Belem. Make it a challenge to find your favorite, your stomach and taste buds will thank you!

Hotel
We stayed at Le Consulat (former Brazilian Consulate). Our room was very big even for US standards and the location is great (Bairro Alto). Tram 28 stops at the front and there is a lovely square as well. We walked everywhere and everything we wanted to see in Lisbon proper seemed no more than 15 minutes.

Dining
The food is spectacular! Seafood, pork, meat, pastry - wow! We had several great meals. Here are some of the places where we ate:

• Minibar (Jose Avillez restaraunt) - 'speakeasy' molecular gastronomy. One of the coolest atmospheres we have ever ate in...so very cool. We had the tasting menu and it was spectacular...it was a splurge but way under what I thought the bill was. We had the table for 2-1/2 hours with dinner and lots of drinks 135 euro.
  • O Faia - (Fado and dinner) - another gorgeous setting. Dinner and a show (drinks extra). The food was great (Octupus and lamb for main dish were excellent). The show was so much fun - the guitar players and the singers all were great. Its an intimate setting, the service was outstanding and we left with big smiles on our faces.
  • Prado - another tasting menu. The pork belly, angel fish and tuna were all stars. The seafood is so amazingly fresh! Great cured meats appetizer as well.
  • A Praca - at the LX Factory (under the bridge). Lots of restaraunts and bars here...very cool. Great ceviche and grilled goat cheese sandwich...and a liter of sangria! We also had lunch at Time Out Lisbon....its such a cool place. We had steak sandwiches and some great desserts. I cannot recall the names of the restaraunts but make it a point to get there.

Sites - we did not get to everything we wanted, here are some highlights...
- go to every Miradouro possible. The views are always great and they all have kiosks serving drinks and snacks.
Castelo de San Jorge - outstanding. buy ticket online and walk right in. Stunning views and the Alfama neighborhood at your feet. You could spend an entire afternoon/day doing these two things alone.
-Núcleo Arqueológico da Rua dos Correeiros - free archeological dig with an archaeological tour guide! Bank was building underground garage and came across three layers of Lisbon life back to the bronze age. It is so well done.
Jeronimos Monastery - stunning. Must see. the Museu Nacional de Arqueologia is attached and well worth the visit.
Monument to the Discoveries - massive in scale. a must.
Pasteis de Belem - always crowded, find out why.

Posted by
80 posts

***More from the 4 days in Lisbon....*
Nanorella - this is the gelato store featured on 'Somebody Feed Phil' travel show on Netflix. We walked there and the line was sooo long. We were happy for them...the power of tv but we settled for more pasteis de nata. Everyone says the gelato is awesome.**

Jardim do Principal Real - we had a lovely breakfast in the park waiting for Embaxaida Shopping to open. I am not a shopper but wife is...all Portuguese made goods shops...she bought a jacket/sweater from a Portuguese designer...the building of Embaxaida is very cool (Small but cool).

....to cap off our trip we were sitting on a bench at the Miradouro de Sao Pedro de Alcantara enjoying a Sunday afternoon cocktail and Eugene Levy (yes, from Schitts Creek and everything else) started filming a not yet named travel show segment right in front of us. He left, we stayed for another 2 hours...go and you will see why, Europe still knows how to hang out and we will return to Lisbon and hopefully more of Portugal again and again...we had a fabulous time! I hope this helps my fellow travel starved friends...we are headed to Spain in June! Keep on Traveling!

Posted by
888 posts

Nice posts Paul. We are going on a Douro cruise starting in Lisbon this fall. Can't wait. Question - someone else posted a comment on a different thread that mentioned the Lisbon airport and indicated it took a long time to get thru upon arrival. We have an 8 am arrival from JFK and I'm trying to plan our possible sightseeing that day.

Posted by
80 posts

CJ Traveler - yes, the entry into Portugal was rough. Our plane landed around 0900 and it took us about an hour to get through customs but I heard it got worse after us. For what it is worth, the city proper is very close to the airport and we had a full day regardless of the airport pain. When we were leaving to come home, you pass by the entry line and it was long again. It's an inconvenience but it wont ruin your entire day...plan a little extra time.

Posted by
1650 posts

Wonderful. Brought back some great memories. I loved Lisbon. Glad you had a good trip.

Posted by
888 posts

Thanx Paul. I'm just trying to figure our how much time we'll have to fit in some sightseeing that day. Wish I could predict the weather too.

Posted by
247 posts

Paul, I am near Philly and was also in Lisbon for 4 days couple of weeks ago. Enjoyed the city immensely. it was fun to read your review! Did every miradoueo and ate every pasteis i could get to. Bonus U got to see eugene levy live.

I was also in Madrid/Toledo. Spain is fun. Best for your trip.

Posted by
68 posts

Thank you for this! My husband and I will be there in 2 weeks and this is very helpful!

Sounds like you packed a lot in the 4 days. We’ll be there for 6 and I hope we can cover as much as you did!