Please sign in to post.

Korcula Croatia - Moreska Sword Dance June 2013

Just returned from our Adriatic Grand tour this June and wanted to let everyone know that if you happen to be in Korcula on a Thursday, try and see the Moreska Sword Dance. I went to it thinking it would be a show with all the touristy gimmicks and big stage setup, but to our surprise and enjoyment the show has a truely local flavor. The dance has been performed locally for the past 400 years in Korcula and all the participants are locals. The music is performed by local kids and adults (very skilled)that gives you the small town school concert feel with the VERY skilled choreography of the dancers. It is only a few Euros and gives you the feel of "going local" Rick talks about when you pull up a lawnchair (yes, its performed in an open air stage with lawn chair ringing it) I did not feel like a tourist watching a show, but rather an observer watching a local festival.

Posted by
5 posts

Hi Jon, Great Post and yes I agree it is very "local" :) I just wanted to let everyone know that it is also offered on Monday evenings. Zivoli!
Lynda Milina