Please sign in to post.

January 2019 - Whole Month - Where would you go?

Hello,

I was just given 60 days notice at my job. Irony, the 60th day is my 45th birthday!

If you were to take the whole month (maybe more) of January to travel where would you go and what would you do?
It's a loaded question, I know!

Not in the USA... Not in Italy (I spent 3 months there and frequent often).
I'm leaning Australia but I do not LOVE "in-season" locations (tourist and higher costs) but... ???

Thanks for your thoughts...
Holli

Posted by
27062 posts

My international travel has been limited to Europe, Canada and Morocco, so I can't comment on Australia, though I'm sure it has many areas that would be great at that time of year. My first thoughts were southern Spain and/or Morocco, but I have an extremely low tolerance for chilly, damp weather.

Posted by
13905 posts

Darn HolliH! I'm so sorry!

My ideas of fun might not be yours but I'd go with a big city where it doesn't matter if it gets dark early. My personal choices would be London and Paris - 2 weeks each but that might not suit you!

You ruled out where I would actually go in January and that's FL or AZ but yeesh, that really makes me sound like a snow-bird geezer/geezerette.

Posted by
3948 posts

Sorry about your reason for the month+ long trip but it sounds like a wonderful opportunity too. I know you don’t want high season but New Zealand would be High on my month long list for January. You could try Greece in the very off season or pick a vibrant city with nonstop museums and other cultural events like London, Vienna, Berlin or Paris although I think you recently spent time in Paris. Have a comforting time planning this big adventure!

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks for your thoughts so far!
I'm not looking for cold/ damp either.
And, New Zealand keeps popping up on the radar too.

Lets see what others may suggest... I think, if I plan and take advantage of this time, something very wonderful will transpire.
It always does...

Posted by
158 posts

I'd go to Spain and/or southern Italy. I'd see big cities like Barcelona and smaller towns.

Posted by
375 posts

Portugal. It’s lovely, the people and food are great and it’s inexpensive. That may be helpful after being downsized.

Posted by
8124 posts

When it comes mid-Winter, there's no place we really want to go. A trip would get in the way of our cabin fever depression.

I seriously would consider New Zealand and Australia--stopping off to and from in Oahu, HI on the way. If they're not in your budget, the Algarve of Southern Portugal would be nice flying into Faro.

Posted by
14500 posts

Normally, I don't care to " freeze it" out otherwise I would pick Berlin and Vienna. Berlin might just be too cold. But with your time now, I would choose Paris and other areas in France and Budapest.

Posted by
2073 posts

How about a cruise for a month to various warm ports of call in the South Pacific or Asia?
Travel to Costa Rica and points south.
A Galapagos cruise is nice and a favorite vacation of mine along with visiting Machu Pichu.

Posted by
3834 posts

I would do Germany and Austria, but I have an unusual affinity for the German-speaking world.

New Zealand would be high on my list, too.

Posted by
6113 posts

January in mainland Europe can be dreary, cold and wet. Daylight hours are very short, so I would head to the Far East - Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia or to South America.

Australia is exceedingly expensive - my brother lives in Perth and his supermarket costs for many items such s bread and milk are double those of the UK.

Posted by
433 posts

Hey Jennifer we were in UK in 2016 and found most groceries very comparable to the costs at home in Australia. The biggest difference was that petrol prices were literally double that of Australia. Of course the exchange rate varies so comparing our costs to yours can get different results.

Posted by
433 posts

Currently a litre of milk will cost about 55p a litre of petrol 75 to 80p. A generic loaf of bread about 1.50 to 1.70. Not sure how that compares to UK 2018.

Posted by
3551 posts

Sicily is a great choice for January. Check it out.

Posted by
26 posts

Such wonderful ideas. Portugal is really pulling at me too.
Morocco seemed interesting and, after researching it a little more, they really promote safety for single women.

I love the beach, the warmth.

Liking Thailand idea although I just don't know how safe I would feel being alone there, thoughts?

What else? This is making me so happy and excited... my purpose in life is not to sit at this job that I do not love!

Posted by
1321 posts

If you think Portugal sounds nice, consider Porto Santo and/or Madeira for part of the time.

Posted by
26 posts

I love these ideas! Now I need to put a plan in action! Thanks everyone!
Happy Travels