Please sign in to post.

Italy trip October 2017-Vernazza, Florence, Siena, and Venice

First I want to thank this forum for all the help I got planning our first trip to Italy. The travel agent I’d used before is now only working with their German clients so I was scared to plan on my own but between RS’s Italy book, this forum, and other research, we had a fantastic time.

For anyone new to planning, just a few thoughts on what was very helpful during my research. When I had a question, I first used the search bar, and often found the answers I was looking for. If not, I tried to be fairly specific in my question. I would write ‘what are the pros and cons of staying near the Duomo or in the Oltrarno district in Florence?’ I narrowed things down, and felt like putting it that way was helpful for me, since one person’s pro could be another person’s con.

Also, even when I’d decided on where we were stopping, I continued to read posts about those places when I saw them come up on the forum. Sometimes you don’t know what you don’t know, and I gathered very useful information I had missed in my research just by continuing to read posts.

This is a personal preference for people, but the more I read experienced posters usually saying they preferred fewer stops and longer stays, I decided to go that route. This is definitely the way I will continue to look at travel in the future. A specific for me is that there are interesting potential day trips from a location, in case we end up not being that excited about where we’re staying.

So a few specifics on our trip. We started off in Vernazza, staying at an Airbnb I found because of following a forum post and it had the best little balcony/view. If you watch Rick’s Cinque Terre video, there’s a boy who jumps off a balcony around 8-9 minutes, that’s the room/balcony we had! And I know the majority tend to favor Monterosso (we didn’t stay there, only visited), but we’re definitely glad we picked Vernazza and would return there and to this Airbnb. We hiked the Monterosso-Vernazza trail. I was expecting it to be very physically challenging, and it was. But what I must have missed for anyone else who has a fear of heights is that the trail is very narrow, has very steep drop offs, and often there is no railing! That was harder for me than the physical aspect.

I originally planned to drive everywhere, but the forum posts also convinced me that trains/buses were the way to go for this trip. I was nervous as we’ve never really used mass transit, but it went very well and with all the warnings about validating tickets, we did it and saw several people get ‘caught’.

Our longer stop was in Florence. Here we stayed at La Scaletta in the Oltrarno district after a friend recommended it and it was also highly regarded on the forum. Another great choice and the roof top terrace was wonderful and it is a very good location. We really enjoyed Palazzo Vecchio and took Dante’s Inferno tour that got us to some ‘behind the scenes’ rooms that was fun. Also loved San Miniato and the San Marco Museum away from the crowds. Didn’t plan on the Uffizi as we are not into art museums and not sorry we missed it as we didn’t get everywhere else we’d hoped and that was fine as we wanted to enjoy what we did see and not rush from place to place. Took a Walks of Italy tour that allowed us to skip the lines and see some behind the scenes areas/be efficient in what we saw.

Took a day trip to Siena. Loved it. Would’ve been great to stay overnight, but still glad we went. Took the ‘Heaven’s Gate’ tour that again took you to places not open to the general public and that was fun. And because we had the Opa Si Plus pass, we stopped in to see the Baptistery and Crypt and those were nice to see.

Posted by
218 posts

Last stop was Venice (we had a noon flight out so not one of those crazy early flights). Here we stayed at a B and B that I again I wouldn’t have found without this forum and it was amazing. Service was impeccable, and they made great recommendations for us. After reading ‘City of Falling Angels’ I really wanted to see the Santa Maria dei Miracoli church, which one of the staff at the B and B said was his favorite church in Venice and it was wonderful. Walked away from the crowds and maybe 4 other people inside. Took another Walks of Italy tour that took us into the non-public areas of the Doges Palace and that was fun. Both of the guides we had with them were very good. Oh, and took Alessandro Schezzini’s ciccheti tour and had a very fun evening!

Sorry this was so long but wanted to write up a little about our trip in case it might help someone else. Already starting to plan our next big trip – it won’t be Italy this time although we will be back – and reading those posts to start gathering great information! Thanks, everyone!

Posted by
564 posts

What a fun trip! Thank you, thank you for sharing. My favorite thing on a Sunday morning - armchair traveling on the Forum website. Love it!

Posted by
11294 posts

Sounds like you not only had a great trip, but learned a tremendous amount about how to plan a trip that works for you and your travel style, as well a learning new travel skills like mass transit. You also figured out what interested you, rather than just sticking to generic lists of "must sees." Some would say, "You simply can't visit Florence and not go to the Uffizi," but you did and had a great time anyway, because you saw other things more worthwhile to you.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, which should be a great inspiration to first-timers who are nervous about doing it on their own.

Posted by
6291 posts

Thanks. Debbie. So, when's your next trip? ;-)

Posted by
11316 posts

You learned and practiced a lot of new travel skills. Congratulations on having such a rewarding trip!

Posted by
218 posts

Thanks, everyone! Yes, learned so much and did feel much more confident with what I learned from this forum. I'm still reading Italy posts - even though it will probably be awhile, I have a couple trips in mind so keep looking at anything related to my potential itinerary. (And anxiously waiting to hear when Rick Steves' Sicily book might be coming out!)

Harold, what's funny is that Florence wasn't originally even planned as all I ever heard about was the Uffizi and David museums. Some friends who also aren't art lovers all told us how they loved Florence and once I started reading about what else there was to enjoy, it became our longest stop! When I told a friend we weren't going to the Uffizi, she said 'but that's a bucket list item', and I responded 'not our bucket'!

Jane, for right now our 'big' trips will be every other year. Got a good airfare and have friends from Barbados who've given us a lot of information so going there for a week next year and looking forward to that. 2019 looks like Andalucía and already doing my research!

Posted by
125 posts

I am a real planner.....I am one of those nerds that thrive on details! I do as you did and continue to read these forums. We will be going to Venice in Sep, in fact I found an air bnb I want to book. I haven't seen a lot of specific recommendations on specific air bnb's. Can you tell me which one you stayed in?

Thanks!

Posted by
218 posts

demalkinski, I've also always been a serious planner. I did a lot of research for the trip, as I wanted to make sure I knew what sights would be of most interest. But I also am getting better about not stressing when we don't get to see everything - in Florence the last day I could've rushed what we were doing in order to fit in something else, but decided to just enjoy the moment and what we were seeing.

The only Airbnb we stayed at was in Vernazza. In Venice, we stayed at a B & B that was recommended by some people on the forum - Locanda Orseolo. It was close to San Marco (but in a private alley) and also not far from the Rialto. Loved it. (More than we would normally spend - between 250-290 Euros.) But I have seen some people post Airbnb's they've stayed at - try doing a search on the forum, and if you can't find what you are looking for, start a new thread on the Italy forum to ask for recommendations. Have fun!

Posted by
3847 posts

Good trip report! Thanks for sharing about your travels and your planning strategies! I'm glad you had such a good time.