Please sign in to post.

Italy trip #3, November 2017

We have just returned from our trip, so I thought I would write a brief trip report.
We arrived Rome on November 3rd ,on time. I had taken the chance and pre-booked my high speed train tickets at home so we had several hours to sit in a train station cafe to orient ourselves. We boarded our train, as planned, smooth as silk. We arrived Naples Mid-day. At first, I was very hesitant to go to Naples, just because of all the pickpocket/ purse snatching stories I had read about..my husband insisted on at least one night there.. We watched so many videos about Naples, he was enchanted with baso living ( I hope I have termed this correctly). Also, we both really wanted to see the Veiled Christ at the Museo Cappella Sanservero ( I think I have this right)
We took a taxi from the train station ( I was leery). Anyway, that went well.. We got a nice talkative driver and did not get ripped off. He took us straight to the Hotel.. Hotel Piazza Bellini.... Clean, nice placewith a lovely courtyard. A little quirky and modern interior but I liked it very much.. Spacious room and a good breakfast. Nice staff. Served us well for the nearness to the Veiled Christ and Archaeological museum. We had just enough time to walk the winding streets and get lost ,just a little (fun) but I was certainly aware of my belongings the entire time, more than usual. The highlight of Naples for me ,was certainly, the Veiled Christ, which brought me to tears. We enjoyed the Archaeological museum , as well. I ended up enjoying Naples better than I thought and my husband loved it. I think I would have enjoyed it more, had I not been so jet lagged. I will continue with more trip report in a few days with our highlights of Sorrento and Rome.

Posted by
3836 posts

Nice to read something positive about Naples since it has had sketchy reviews in the past.

Posted by
1056 posts

Saw the Veiled Christ many years ago and was amazed at the talent of the sculptor. How he managed to make the marble lace appear transparent is beyond understanding.

Posted by
11156 posts

We loved Naples, so vibrant, authentic. I don't understand why some travelers avoid it. All cities have their share of pickpockets so just be aware and alert. The walk along the waterfront is wonderful too.

Posted by
2469 posts

I spent 2 days in Naples by myself in early April this year and enjoyed every minute. Saw the Veiled Christ and the Archeological Museum, got lost on a long walk through the alleyways of Naples on a Saturday afternoon but never felt in danger. It was an exhilarating experience! I recorded musicians and impromptu parades...the vibrancy of Naples is addictive. I want to return and do more exploring.