Please sign in to post.

Italy, July 2017

I am a single man. I traveled alone. I stayed in Hostels. The first one was in Florence. Staff there provide a breakfast, and a dinner around 7-11pm. But they didn’t care that I ate my own food. I may have mentioned that I worry that typical food recipes have too much sodium or are otherwise unhealthy. The hostel environmnts were nicer that I expected based on descriptions of hostels on blogs and on other websites. The first Hostel was on the 3rd floor of a building. I Don’t remember seeing an elevator or I didn’t look for one. I was there for 6 nights.

The second Hostel was in Naples, on the 5th floor of a building. The elevator was out of order. I was there 3 nights. One night in the hostel, around 4 am, I heard noises coming from outside; my first guess was, the noises were gunfire; but maybe it was garbage trucks emptying dumpsters; somebody said the noises were fireworks, but I don’t believe that. What I read, was that Naples is chaotic, dirty and over-crowded. But the streets I walked on were not any dirties or crowded that the streets I walked on in Rome. The hostel entrance was on a street which seemed like a wide alley; few people walked on this street; the citynis quite windy because it is right next to the bay of Naples; there was a sort of desolation in the alley as I entered and left the hostel; I experienced the same desolation as I looked at the wind blowing through the palm trees by the Capodimonte art museum in Naples; I would have been just as happy if I had skipped this museum. I forgot to look up the bus schedule for my trip back from the Capodimonte and waited more than a half hour for a bus to arrive; for a few minutes I thought I would walk back but Three stray dogs snarreled at me and I very slowly walked backwards from them and back to a bus stop.

I took the train to the pompeii scavi. On the way two middle aged guys jumped on at a stop and immediately, one was playing accordian and one saxophone; that lasted for maybe 10 minutes and they they tried collecting tips. People do not do this in the USA.

The 3rd hostel was in Rome; a staff member gave walking a tour that I joined with 5 others.
Some place I saw were not listed in Rick Steves Italy 2017:
-Fort Belvedere - costs 3 Euros. Rick lists another place to get a scenic view but Fort Belvedere was almost deserted and closer to the skyline and totally worth the 3 Euros.
-The Florence Synagogue, built is 1872-1882, and the Rome Synagogue, built in 1904.
-The National Etruscan museum in Rome. It has good English descriptions, was almost deserted, occupied me for almost 4 hours.

Everything else I saw has been described well by Rick and other people.

I wish I had taken public transportation more than I did.

My tickets for Bruneschelli's dome did not work; the ticket scanning machine falsely indicated that the ticket was already used earlier that day. I don't care so much about missing the dome climb; the part I was sad about was the money I wasted.

Posted by
7850 posts

On the way two middle aged guys jumped on at a stop and immediately, one was playing acordian and one saxophone; that lasted for maybe 10 minutes and they they tried collecting tips. People do not do this in the USA.

yeah they do in Chicago except its more freestyle rap music

Posted by
7049 posts

What were your highlights or favorite places of the entire trip? Were you able to sample some regional dishes in spite of your worries about (lack of) healthfulness?

Posted by
985 posts

Pompeii. I read a 240 page illustrated coffee table sized book with small print, about the site before my trip.

The outdoor scenery. Various monuments visible from outside. Maybe the Roman forum was meaningful, but only because I had read a little about it; if you travel to Rome without reading about any of the ruins, it wouldn't be meaningful, it would all be just piles of stones to you. My guided the tour of the colosseum and Roman Forum area was $99; I would have been just as happy without the guided tour; I wish I had just seen it on my own; the tickets without a tour are 12 Euros; I could have saved 87 Euros.

Posted by
7049 posts

Did you see the Archeological Museum in Naples, as well as the monastery (Certosa di San Martino) overlooking the bay? There are some real gems in Naples.

I agree, Pompeii was amazing, and you do get a lot more out of a trip by doing some background reading beforehand about the things you're about to see and their history.

Posted by
11613 posts

Good to know that you didn't have problems about food, I remember that was a big concern for you.

Posted by
985 posts

I told the hostel staff that I wanted to buy some fruit; the staff at each hostel recommended a grocery story and showed me where the place was on my paper maps; I suppose the hostel staff are used to very cheap guests who also wish to buy at least some of their food from grocery stores. I did eat a portion of some zgombro (mackeral) from the deli counter of a grocery store and another sort of fish in tomato sauce; they sell fruit in Italy; the stores I bought food in were big enough to fit maybe 50 people, maybe they exist for the convenince of the people living in nearby apartment buildings; I wanted to assume I could buy my own food; it was way easier to buy my own food than my mom told me it would be. I did buy and eat some kind of prepaired rice dish, twice, and a quinoa dish once, because I craved something calorie dense that I thought was not too unhealthy. Yes I am nuts about food. Even if you are not a health nut, every evening you don’t necessarily have to have a fancy meal that is an hour or two hour long sit down affair in a fancy restaurant with table service.

Posted by
15585 posts

Hostels provide basic meals as a service. I don't think they care what you eat or where you buy it. One I stayed at in Florence even sold frozen meals (there was a microwave available), drinks, snacks, fruit, etc. at supermarket prices (or lower!). Even hotels with restaurants have given me directions for nearby food stores and restaurant recommendations.

I also heard fireworks one night in Naples. It's common here to celebrate weddings with them so I figured it was probably something like that - either a celebration or a concert. . . . or kids with firecrackers.

Posted by
4844 posts

So very glad to hear you had a great trip! Have you started planning the next one? We're all willing to share our insights and advice so feel free to ask away. Maybe you too will become a "travelholic".

Posted by
3114 posts

Glad to hear that your trip seems to have been a success.
I remember you were concerned about safety and food; so it sounds like everything worked out well.
Where will you travel to next?!

Posted by
985 posts

My trip was successful. A few things I learned:
I am happy I went on the walking tours of the middle of Florence and Rome. (I showed up for a walking tour in Naples, but the guide did not show up. 12 others were waiting). I wish I had toured the Colosseum and nearby ruins on my own instead of with the group guided tour I was in: yes the guide was quite knowledgable but I could have read more in advance and bought just the basic 12-euro ticket and been just as happy. My guess is I would go on city tours in the future but skip tours of individual sites, but this is just a tentative guess, maybe to save money.

Most of what I saw was described in Rick steves Italy 2017, but Ricks books need to be supplimented with other information.

Maybe part by accident and part by good planning, some of the streets and museums I walked around in and visited, were uncrouded, or even amost desserted. other places were crowded.

I did visit the archaeological museum in Naples. I became too tired of the place and too tired of standing so much, and left after 4 1/2 hours even though I had not read everything yet. The last room I was in, which I didn’t look at carefully, was the one with writing in ancient languages in pieces of stone - and info about languages (latin, oscan, umbrian, faliscian, and so on).

I skipped the cathedrial in Naples. I did see the path by the bay of Naples, and Castle Nuovo from the outside where my tour was supposed to start.

Many statues I saw were broken and not that interesting or meaningful. The non-broken ones are why you may want to see sculptures in museums.

I saw both the archaeological museum in Florence and the Etruscan museum in Rome. The one in Rome has an Etruscan stone coffin with a man and woman on top that was broken into 40 pieces when purchased and then reassembled, and a vase in its own display case that was owned by the New York museum of art for awhile, then was given back to Italy). In Rome or Florence, I forgot where, in a museum I saw a collection of gold jewlery that was stolen, the police almost caught the thieves, there was a car chase, as the police got close, the theives threw the jewels onto the road.

The drain holes in the garden at the palazzo Pitti look the same as the drain holes in the floor of the Pantheon.

I am thinking of going to Greece next. I have some vague small amound of knowlege of ancient greece, I like seeing classical antiquity era monuments, and so on.