Please sign in to post.

Italy as of April 2023

We've been traveling in Italy since April 1st. The first week was in Florence, the crowds weren't too bad, the weather was dry.
Took two wine tours into Tuscany on day trips. Bought way too many cases of wine. Shipping home to USA was about $100 each case.
The second week we were in Rome, started to get crowded.
The pope weekly speech filled the square.
The Vatican museum was packed and hot.
The sistan chapel was packed standing room, dark and hot.
We were being yelled at by the guards to be quiet
Then, it started raining.
The coloseum was packed in the rain, so was the Spanish steps.
Naples was dirty, covered in graffiti, garbage pilled in the streets.
Pompeii is an all day trip and we only saw half, it is great to see.
The circumvent train is another mosh pit loading at Naples main termini and at Pompeii scavii station. Train is packed standing room.
The next day we walked two blocks south to the circumvent station where each train has its own platform. The 8am train was waiting with open doors and plenty of empty seats. We easily placed our Rick Steve's back packs in the over head luggage rack. When it pulled around the corner to the main station it was swarmed and instantly filled. Some got off at herculeim scavii.
Still standing room going to Pompeii scavii. Plenty stranded on till Sorento.
Sorrento is a lovely town.
Elegant even. Reminds me of Beverly hills. Capri was crowded, we liked anicapri better, fewer people.
Buses on the amalfi coast have been crowded, even the 8am run to Ravello. Positano was okay when we got there at 9am.
By noon it was wall to wall people.
Reminds me of San Francisco water front.
We took the sea taxi from positano to amalfi. At 4pm.
It was 30 minutes late due to the crowds, the boats were triple stacked trying to load.
I was told by a local this started mid March. Today was typical for later in the summer. I like amalfi better, more of a home town feel.
Dinner here in amalfi was 68e,
Lunch in positano was 91e
Tommorw we try Maiori

Posted by
1782 posts

What sorts of tourists predominated? Thanks.

Posted by
5 posts

We hear alot of Italian.
Some German.
Some French.
Few Americans.
Few middle east.
Alot of Japanese, they have hugh tour groups 100 people.

Posted by
1782 posts

Thank you, I'm wondering if the Americans just haven't shown up yet, or tend not to travel down to that Amalfi Coast area.

Regardless sounds like a cool trip Glad you had a good time

Posted by
317 posts

Sounds like a great itinerary but it also seems that the crowds of people are a distraction. Italy has a special place in my heart but am not sure that I will make another visit due to the crowds. If I do, I will be looking for less traveled sites

Posted by
5 posts

Bus and ferry Transportation has consistent been the problem.
With the exception of the bullet trains, we traveled with reservations in 1st class on coach 2. Reserved seats has been no problem. Any time before noon is okay, but noon till 6pm is a mosh Pit at any town or activity.